The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 2, 2013, 02:06 PM   #1
rielazegui

Sig SP2022 9mm with +p+

I would like to shoot buffalo bore 9mm+p+ from my Sig 2022 but cannot find any info if it is safe to do so. I read that it can shoot +p but not really anthing on +p+.
Old May 2, 2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Gaerek

+P+ is a marketing term that has no real definition, whereas 9mm +P is a SAAMI standard load. +P+ generally means higher pressure than +P, but how much higher isn't standard. Generally speaking, you should be OK, but I don't know for sure. I'd say give Sig a call or email them your question. Though, I doubt they'd recommend it, even if the gun can handle it.
Old May 2, 2013, 02:19 PM   #3
allaroundhunter

Can your gun handle it? Probably, just don't give it a steady diet of them. Will Sig help you in the event that it damages your gun (or you)? Not a chance.
Old May 2, 2013, 02:25 PM   #4
rielazegui

I think I will stick to +p. I dont see a FMJ that is just +P on buffalo bore, only the +P+ or +P HP. Does anyone recommend a particular 9mm +P FMJ?
Old May 2, 2013, 03:09 PM   #5
allaroundhunter

Re: Sig SP2022 9mm with +p+

Why are you wanting a +P FMJ? If it is to mimic what you carry then I would say good choice, but for just practice you would be spending more money than necessary. A slightly hotter 9mm load that isn't labeled '+P' is Winchester 9mm NATO.
Old May 2, 2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Gaerek

I was about to say, look for 9x19 NATO. They're loaded hotter (pretty close to +P if I'm not mistaken) than standard ammo. I also believe that Speer makes a 124gr +P FMJ under their Lawman line. It's probably tough to find right now.

Honestly, if you want to mimic your carry load, you might want to consider getting into reloading. I haven't bit that bullet yet, but I am planning to by the end of the year. It'll save me money in the long run, and I can customize my loads.
Old May 2, 2013, 04:16 PM   #7
TunnelRat

I carry Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P. I practice with whatever I can find. Now the power is certainly different, can really feel the Gold Dots whip that slide back, but I haven't seen a difference in point of impact. That is my major concern, whether or not the bullets will go where I am aiming. I find that my point of impact really only changes from 115 gr bullets when I go up to 147 gr bullets.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 2, 2013, 10:37 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

SIG Sauer...

On SIG's own FAQ area, www.sigsauer.com , says NOT to shoot any +P+ ammunition with SIG Sauer firearms.
My local metro PD which has roughly 800 sworn officers uses the SIG classic models in P226R & P229R with to my knowledge, the Ranger T 127gr +P+ JHP.

The PD has used Ranger Ts for years & the P226 model since 1990-1991.

CF
Old May 3, 2013, 01:02 AM   #9

Is it a modern service pistol? Then yes. The older ones, maybe not. If you have a fair amount of shooting experience I say let er rip. If that Master Race 9mm can't handle a few hundred rounds of +p+ Send it to the Russian Front