The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 19, 2000, 10:45 PM   #1
TwoHands

make contact only at thier base! I want to lap them and have compound but don't know about changing the headspace. Say I have to lap away .010 or so- what would that do to my headspace as far as safety goes?

------------------
"Aim small, Miss small"
Old September 19, 2000, 11:20 PM   #2
Badger Arms

.010" is a huge amount to take off. You shouldn't need to take more than .002" off to make sufficient contact. Many rifles only make contact on one lug. You should look for 60-70% on both lugs and be happy with that. Headspace is not really an issue with such small metal removal here. What type of rifle do you have an what type of return do you hope to get by lapping the lugs?
Old September 20, 2000, 08:11 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Two Hands, I'd have to disagree with BadgerArms a little here. I lap lugs until they have at least 90% contact and headspace is always a consideration. If you have one that is on or near the line between go and no-go lapping the lugs could easily lead to difficult extraction and other symptoms of excess headspace. The barrel should be removed and either an old barrel stub with shims or a special lapping tool used to put pressure against the bolt while lapping. If necessary then the headspace is corrected. George
Old September 20, 2000, 08:21 PM   #4
HankL

TwoHands, George is most emphatically right.
If your bolt lugs are just touching as you describe I would think that the barrel is set too far back and the chamber cut too deep. She needs to go to a good smith at any rate!
Old September 22, 2000, 01:33 AM   #5
Badger Arms

Snif, okay. I've only lapped new rifles before and Never had a problem with headspace. I'm not a huge fan of lapping in general. That's why I don't go down as far as you, George. I'm of the opinion that one only needs to achieve enough contact to ensure equal bearing on the lugs. I've not built any benchrest guns, though. After seeing many guns which bear only on ONE lug being as accurate as they are... I've come to the anecdotal conclusion that it's not worth all that much fuss.

We all know, of course, that this is my opinion and what opinions are like.