The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 21, 2002, 12:16 AM   #1
ZipTieNinja

First Match!! General Tips?

I will be shooting in a match the 27th and 18th of this month. Its a fundraiser event for the Pittsylvainia County Shiriffs office, "In Car Cammera Fund". I posted about it here

I have a Beretta 92G Elite II (9mm)with the Hogue Wrap Arounds, and a Hogue Powere Speed Competition Holster, and a double mag pouch that will do just fine, I think. What else will I need? I have never been to a shoot before.... Oh, I have hearing protection.

Any advice would be of great help. My experince is mostly with rimfire. The sttel plate challenge sounds fun, but how far away are the plates, and how big are they? I would like to practice for the next week. I have a Beretta 96 Brigadier (.40 S&W) as well, and an SKS.

Again, any adivice would be great. As well as tips on what gear to take along. In short, what do you do to prepare?

Thanks For the help,
Stay Safe.
Old July 21, 2002, 02:09 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

REGARDLESS..........

1) ACCURACY TAKES PRECEDENCE OVER SPEED.

2) Safety glasses.

3) Extra belt (I personally bring spare EVERYTHING, including guns).

4) Twice as much ammo as 'needed'.

It is too late to train; recommend working on the mental aspects of competing.
"Mindset" is critical to success. Be aware that competitors often get 'nerved up' before a match, or before their turn. Avoid that by being prepared mentally.
You know how to do the things other than the shooting, so concentrate on the shooting.

There is sight alignment, and there is trigger control.
If you can keep three things in your (match)head it might be (other than SAFETY FIRST): 1) Accuracy takes precedence over speed, 2) sight alignment, 3) trigger control.

I have made it a point before the last two matches to physically verbally repeat the "accuracy....." phrase. I chant it aloud until my brain actually understands what that means.
Then I go shooting.
I still suck, but it's a slow accurate suck............LOL.

Man, I love IPSC............
Old July 21, 2002, 09:01 AM   #3
Navy joe

Agree with above, and the fact that I usually have as many stage points as the winner indicates that I too have a slow accurate sucking feeling. Now if I could just do that faster.

If there's movement, walk don't run. Do everything w/ an eye towards being safe.

Biggest advice is listen intently to the RO, they are there to help.

It's not to late to practice, at home w/ a EMPTY gun practice some holster presentations, make sure you're not sweeping yourslef or anyone else with the muzzle. Dryfire on those too, geeting that first DA shot off good hinders a lot of people when they get excited. Dryfire really helps w/ the mental.
Old July 21, 2002, 02:23 PM   #4
ZipTieNinja

Hmm... Sounds good. I just put 100rds through the gun not an hour ago. When I shoot at cans, I do fine, but with paper... Take a peice of typing paper, draw a line from the uper left corner, to the lower right. All my shots are on the lower left side or that line. Pretty even but not in the corners or much above the center on the paper. I would scan it, but I do not has access to a scaner. Not even the public library has a scaner! ... Probably my grip, and or trigger control. Guess I will just have to practice those things more.

Thanks for the help, and I do have eye protection. My Rx glasses are polycarb, and a pair of true safty glasses with side shields over them. I love my eyes, and plan to keep them for while.

Thanks again.
Zip.
Old July 21, 2002, 09:51 PM   #5
ACP230

If you are right handed it could be that you are trying to snap shots off when the sights look right, instead of keeping a steady pressure on the trigger and letting the shot be almost a surprise. I have had this problem while shooting target pistols. When I try to make the shots happen I often hit low at seven or eight o'clock.

Grip might be a factor too, but I haven't seen as large an effect in my case. HTH.
Old July 21, 2002, 09:55 PM   #6
ClydeVA

FYI

You should bring another holster something along the ccw line. You might check with John to see if your holster is allowed. (There were no competition rigs used at the last match I attended - that John put on.)

Hit's count first at this match- shoot as fast as you can AND get hits. "Safely" "Easier to say than to do"

At the last match the Steel Challenge - I believe it was Ten steel plates 6 or 8 inch in diameter. Shaped in a "V" . Each shooter had 5 plates. Distance was 13yrds to about 18yrds.

Bring something to snack on - and water and a chair.

- most of all have fun
Old July 22, 2002, 12:44 AM   #7
ZipTieNinja

CCW? The only thing I have is a horizontal shoulder holster and a small mount for the powerspeed that is intended for ccw. I would be sweeping everyone with the shoulder rig... Hmm... Oh well, I shall manage... How long do these matches last? I have family coming up to visit as well. What time are they over for the day, on average?

Thanks for the tips, and info. Most helpful. ClydeVA, look me up Sunday. Tie dye shirt, blue lenses in my glasses, and a Berreta 92G Elite II. See you there, and you can watch me get my butt kicked!, and enjoy every second of it!

Edit: All thumbs....
Old July 22, 2002, 09:36 AM   #8
ClydeVA

The last match was shot in one day. 9am - 7:30pm. They cooked up some Hotdogs and Burgers for lunch. This is just an educated guess based on the last match. I figure winding up around 2-3pm each day.

Holsters Just in Case -(Cheap Solution) if your local dealer has Uncle Mikes pick up a Belt Slide - I normally keep one in my gun bag for those people that do not have a suitable holster for the matches we put on locally. It fits a wide range guns (Desert Eagles, Glock, Beretta) (Your holster may be allowed but just thought you should know - that it could be an issue)

You ready Yet - Check out Clyde's House I posted some pictures of what the Roanoke Wrecking Crew took home at the TOP Gun 2K2 in April. If you look under the Danville FOP Picture page you will get a peek at some of the stages we shot.

I'll be shooting Stainless Kimber - I'll be looking for you.

Hope to be taking a new one home after the match also (Wink, Wink) -
Old July 26, 2002, 04:12 PM   #9
cobb

Maybe this is a little late, but I'll add 2 cents anyway. Watch some shooters before you, how they turn, use cover, muzzle control, etc., listen closely to the Safety Officer and ask questions. Just went to a match that had a brand new shooter to IDPA. He made it to the third stage, got a safety warning, made another mistake and got disqualified. Sure felt bad for him, and it was a hard way, and embarrasing way to get introduced to competition shooting, but safety has to come first.