The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 20, 2012, 07:45 AM   #1
bonefamily

.32 acp

I'm looking to know of the most reliable, little .32 Auto's currently on the market. So far I have considered the NAA Guardian .32, Kel Tec P32, and Seecamp LWS .32. I have looked into the Beretta Tomcat but read about the cracking issue. What others are out there? Thanks.
Old November 20, 2012, 08:06 AM   #2
deputy tom

I've owned the Guardian,Seecamp and kel-tec pistols. The Guardian was 100% reliable as is the Seecamp. I had to go thru about four kel-tecs before I found one that worked properly.Other people I know have been lucky enough to get a good kel-tec right off the bat. YMMV. Good luck. tom.

PS the kel-tec is the most comfortable of the three for pocket carry.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old November 20, 2012, 08:30 AM   #3
PetahW

While my KelTec P-32 was reliable right off the bat, it was actually the 3rd pocket .32 I bought/shot/tried.

The prevoius two, an NAA Guardian & an Antigua just didn't feel "right" when I was firing them (all DA-only).

I would strongly advise at least handling any small auto prior to buying, since YMMV, certainly - our hands, etc, all differ from each other.

Last edited by PetahW; November 20, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old November 20, 2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Seaman

"...looking to know of the most reliable, little .32 Auto's currently on the market." [bonefamily]

My 32 ACP Walther PPK was built in 1933. That's right, 1933, so I guess that makes it reliable. BTW, its very accurate too, and out to 25 yards will outshoot the bigger guns. Can be carried anywhere, IWB, OWB, shoulder or ankle holster.

German cops liked the larger Walther PP (1929) so much that detectives asked for a smaller version for covert carry and the PPK was born (1931). Fixed barrel, DA/SA, simple blowback, good safety, ring hammer, good sights, and yes, even the fictional James Bond was issued one. Come to think of it, even the fictional Scully (X-files) carried one ... can't be too careful with Zombies and such.

Still carry it as a BUG. And,

still made by S&W.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:15 AM   #5
RJay

I had four 32s at one time, PPK, Guardian, Kel-Tec, Beretta Tom Cat. Sold the Tom Cat ( really didn't like it ), gave the Guardian to my wife, put the PPK away and now carry the Kel-Tec. I like the .32 Kel-Tec and do not feel under gunned. Yes, I'm very familiar with firearms and have a number of handguns to choose from, 32 ACP is my choice for carry.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:30 AM   #6
Grant D

I have a Walther PP made in 1941 in 32 cal. that's very accurate,but spends most of it's time as a safe queen,being that it was assigned to the SS so I don't carry it very often.
Old November 20, 2012, 12:05 PM   #7
mrt949

Owned all the keltec's over the years .Never any problems .Decided to get away from polimer .Now I own a SEECAMP .
I LIKE THE FEEL OF STEEL.
Old November 20, 2012, 02:36 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

The Walthers are not nearly as small as the guns mentioned. I carry a Keltec P32. It's the lightest of all the guns listed. IMO the Guardian is too heavy for pocket carry.
Old November 20, 2012, 03:20 PM   #9
Sid

I am another Keltec fan. They are the lightest of the pocket pistols and by far the most comfortable to carry. Like many other shooters, I do not use a pocket holster. I just carry it in my right pants pocket and I can get it out pretty fast. Accuracy is adequate for personal protection. I also shoot handloads in mine without any trouble. The cases can be reloaded innumerable times.
Old November 20, 2012, 05:05 PM   #10
GTlefty

I also have the Keltec P32 and am satisfied with it. So far I've fired more than 300 rounds of PPU 71gr without any malfunctions. 10.3 oz fully loaded with 8 rounds and a slip on grip.
Old November 20, 2012, 05:38 PM   #11
bonefamily

Thanks for the replies and experiences everyone. I admit the price of the P32 is very attractive, and from the replies above it seems to be liked. I don't mind that it is a poly frame, which I suspect is what lowers the price some. My LGS has a good price on one right now that I might just go ahead with it.
Old November 21, 2012, 06:22 PM   #12
FALPhil

You will have to buy them used, because they have not been made in decades, but the CZ-27 is uber reliable, at least in my experience. I think it has something to do with the magazine angle and the feed cycle. I have shot every brand of 32 ACP ammo I can think of out of the thing without a hitch. I have used it for rodent control in the woods behind my house, and it is consistently accurate. I would not recommend it for carry, because as 32s go, it is heavy.
Old November 21, 2012, 06:56 PM   #13
Doc Intrepid

I have experience with two .32s, the Beretta Tom Cat and the Walther.

I actually like the Beretta, however, it is small enough and light enough that recoil can be snappy. It's size, though, makes it fairly concealable.

My friend owns the Walther, and it is a significantly larger pistol. But because its both larger and heavier, its easier (for me) to shoot it rapidly and accurately.

If I were going to purchase another .32 ACP I'd be picking up a Walther. Great quality, great ergonomics, fun to shoot - whats not to like?
Old November 21, 2012, 07:18 PM   #14
45YearsShooting

Have you looked at the Kel-Tec P3AT? The same size as the P32 but shoots .380 ACP. I'm sure sales of the P32 fell off once the P3AT came out. That is why they are often sold cheaper.

Having said that, I shot my friend's P3AT and did not like it that much. It was not totally reliable feeding, and I could not shoot it accurately. I shoot my P32 more accurately. They are both very short-range weapons. Easy to miss with even at 7 yards.

Also, the Ruger LCP seems to be a copy of the P3AT. I would definitely take a look at that before buying the P32. It may be more reliable.

I bought my Kel-Tec P32 before the P3AT came out. It's been 100 percent reliable with full metal jacket bullets, but only about 97 percent reliable with hollowpoints, even after I polished the feed ramp to a mirror finish. So... I load a Cor-Bon hollowpoint in the chamber, followed by a magazine full of FMJ. FMJ bullets in the little .32 are not a bad choice, due to the fact that the penetration of the .32 hollowpoints is marginal.

The lip on the rim of the .32 ACP sometimes causes a problem with catching on another round in the magazine, which can cause a feeding problem. The .380 ACP (and 9mm) do not have this protruding rim.

Whenever I carry the P32, it is in my right hip pocket in a wallet holster. Looks and feels just like a wallet in my rear pocket. The holster is designed to stay in the pocket when you draw.

I don't feel .32 auto is powerful enough to have confidence in it as a primary weapon. I feel 9mm is the minimum, and there are many very small 9mm's out there now.
Old November 21, 2012, 07:28 PM   #15
12GaugeShuggoth

Another happy P32 owner here. Never given me any problems or malfunctions, I've never done anything to it other than clean it, lube it, load it. I normally take the LCP with me everywhere, but the P32 gets a fair amount of pocket time too. I much prefer shooting the P32, and am considerably more accurate with it than with the LCP. YMMV.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old November 21, 2012, 09:53 PM   #16
damienph

I've owned three 32ACPs over the years, a CZ 50 that I wish I would have kept, a 1903 Colt, that I really wish I would have kept, and an Armi Galesi Model 9 that I did keep. It was made in 1954, is a pretty decent shooter and looks a lot like a Wather PPS.
I know that many don't think much of the .32ACP as a self defense round but I think that it is way better than nothing at all. Small handguns that you can put in your pocket, minimal recoil that can be handled by anyone, if you reload, super cheap and brass lasts forever, what's not to like.

Plus, I have seen these AGs sell for under $150 in perfect condition, no mine is not for sale.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:58 PM   #17
kimbershot

seecamp 32 with akins pocket holster--the on the go gun--just got a xds for more edc though--putting it through it's rounds and testing holsters.
Old November 21, 2012, 11:00 PM   #18
michael t

I have 3 Relieable P-32's in my family .
2 are early 2nd Gen and one later
Old November 22, 2012, 12:23 AM   #19
warningshot

How many time have you heard this...

"I shot the .32 acp Walther PPK and I did not like it." Neither have I.

Most everyone I know believe the all steel, orginal PPs & PPks in .32 shoot great. The 'mosts' also think that .380 acp and below is too small to be an effective SD gun. I don't know what part of a 71 grain 7.65mm FMJ wound channel thru the noddle they don't understand, but that's what they say.
The high tech plastics are smaller & lighter and sometimes more powerful and eaiser to carry. But can you hit with them? Some people say they can. Good luck.
Old November 22, 2012, 01:10 AM   #20
guy sajer

The Beretta is large imo and the frame cracking is for real . The Guardian is heavy and bulky imo .

Overall the KelTec is a good choice but they have made a few lemons .

I have 20 yrs with this Seecamp . It won't shoot ball ammo (oal too long) . That's the only negative I have . The fit and finish are top shelf . I needed service once a few years ago and it was prompt and no charge . They're not easy to find though .

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .
Old November 22, 2012, 07:40 AM   #21
PSP

guy sajer and I have 20+ year old Seecamps in common. That's the gun I carry in a pocket. It's been trusty for 26 years.

For a different look and slightly larger size; the Sig P230, in .32acp, is another favorite of mine. A world class gun, that shoots like a dream. At only about 17 ounces, it is very easy to conceal and carry.

At the larger end, the CZ83 in .32acp is perhaps the most fun. It's big and quite heavy, with noticably little recoil, but that's a good thing at the range or teaching a youngster to shoot.

These are my three favorite .32s.
Old November 22, 2012, 11:57 AM   #22
WyMark

I have a Keltec P32 that shoots nice and is small and light enough to carry in a pocket easily, it's just not the most reliable gun I've ever owned. Most people who own them seem to have a different experience, so maybe I just got a bad one. Lots of extractor and feed issues.

Some day I'll get lucky enough to stumble across a Sig P230 in .32 at a gun show or pawn shop, I think that's my holy grail right now.
Old November 22, 2012, 12:17 PM   #23
guy sajer

My preference in a large .32 is the Sig as well . However , I really prefer the old classic Colt Model 1903 .32

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .
Old November 22, 2012, 09:05 PM   #24
Sid

I have a 1903 Colt and it is a pleasure to shoot. However, it is too large to really be considered a pocket pistol in my opinion. I shoot mine mainly at the range. For concealed carry I mostly use my Keltec P 32.
Old November 23, 2012, 01:05 AM   #25
JimmyR

CZ-70

It's by no means a pocket .32, but I love my little CZ-70. 8+1, with an all steel frame makes recoil manageable. Parts are not too hard to find on some of the millitary surplus sites (I use www.buymilsurp.com).