The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 2014, 06:37 PM   #1
the45er

Sierra Blitz King vs Hornady V-Max

We all know that each rifle has bullets it likes and bullets it doesn't. Today I found out just how true that is. I have a Sako Model 85 22-250 with a bull barrel that has been the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. With 36 grains of IMR 4320 and a 55 grain Sierra Spitzer bullet, this gun will shoot well under MOA groups.

Shortages in bullets and other components led me to reload some Sierra Blitz King 55 grainers instead of the flat base Spitzers I like. Went to shoot a few to see how they printed. At 200 yards off the bench, I was literally having trouble keeping them on a 10" x 10" target! I mean they were spreading all over the place.

For grins, I pulled these Sierra bullets and seated some 55 grain Hornady V-Max bullets that my AR-15 likes right on top of them. Same load, brass, primer, everything but the bullet. Voila! Three shots you could cover with a 50 cent piece at 200 yards. Huge difference in the way my Sako shoots them even though they have similar specs. Oh well, that's reloading.
Old June 18, 2014, 06:56 PM   #2
Xfire68

That's not to say that those Sierra Blitz Kings won't shoot well in your rifle. They could be perfectly acceptable with the right powder and charge. The sweet spot can be easy to find or like looking for Noah's ark!
Old June 18, 2014, 07:17 PM   #3
NHSHOOTER

Just what I love about reloading, same powder, primer, and bullet weight but boat tail versus a flat base etc. and wow, big difference. I just keep trying different loads, seeking that 3 shot 1 hole group at 100 yds..Close but no cigar. Keep on tryin.
Old June 19, 2014, 08:41 AM   #4
Longshot4

There are a lot of things to get right in your hand loads. If you want the blitz tuned to your rifle it will take more from you. Slapping a bullet into a case and firing at 200 Yds isn't a tuned load. Take your time make one change at a time. The Blitz is a good bullet. You can try Your seating depth for one thing to play with...
Old June 19, 2014, 10:20 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I keep wondering if I'll ever see this happen in my guns. Obviously, part of me hopes I never do but then part of me wants to see it with my own eyes.

I've never had anything close to this kind of trouble with any bullet in any gun. A few years ago, a forum member mentioned that he had some 139gr 7mm Hornady SPs that wouldn't shoot worth a darn. I told him I'd take them off his hands. They're just plinking bullets for me, but my 15" Encore puts them in one small hole at 60 yards and around 1" at 100, almost exactly what it does with 110gr Barnes TTSX too.

I guess I get lucky in choosing the right bullet for the right gun. I've never had one shoot badly or even much different, frankly, from any other bullet in the same gun.

I admit, I don't load for dozens of guns using hundreds of different bullets and powders, so I guess it's just something I haven't tun into yet. I do load (or have) for at least 6 rifles using probably a dozen different bullets though, and I've never seen anything close to this.
Old June 21, 2014, 01:50 PM   #6
mulespurs

Try !365 Sierra Gamekings

I have a Ruger 22-250 mod 77 Hevey barrel that really likes sierra #1365
I tried it with a hornady 55 gr that shot in my 788's but it wouldn't shoot in that ruger. I had tested several different powders and couldn't get my standard bullet to work in that ruger.The Sierra's did in that case but maybe not the next time.
I think sometimes each barrel may be a law unto itself.
Old June 21, 2014, 08:13 PM   #7
02bigdogs17

I love the search of finding out what my guns like and don't like. My Savage 11 22-250 loves the 55gr Sierra BTHP's. I use IMR 4064 powder and at 100yds with 5 shot group there just outside of a dime. My Savage Axis .223 also loves that bullet with Hodgdon BLC-2 powder it shoots a 5 shot group at 100yds at .79" . But I found a load it likes better so stopped using the 55gr bullets and went to a Nosler 69gr HPBT with W748 powder it shoots a 5 shot group at 100yds at .47". I have tried the V-Max bullet in both of these guns while they did do very well just not as well as the Sierra's. My Browning Lever action .223 does the best with the V-Max's.
Old June 23, 2014, 09:21 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Good example of my earlier post... I decided to try 39gr Sierra's in place of the 32gr V-Max I've used in my .204 for many years.

My gun is ridiculously accurate with the V-Max, 1/2MOA on a bad day and consistently with every powder I've tried and any OAL I've tried.

I did some digging around and found some "suggestions" rather than data for the powder I want to use (W748). QuickLoad pretty much agreed, so I was off.

Once again, groups I can cover with a quarter at 200 yards.