The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 21, 2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Sphawley

Benelli Mercury Recoil Reducer

I have a benelli nova, and was thinking about getting this? Is it worth the money? I do most trap and skeet with this gun. Some people say that it only adds weight, or does it do more to reduce recoil than just adding weight?
Old September 21, 2010, 12:11 PM   #2
oneounceload

Mercury inside also moves, creating a sort of "wave" effect if you will thereby spreading out the recoil wave pulse. Whether or not it works would be up to you to determine. There are several brands that have been out for years - maybe even one of them actually makes it for Benelli - I do not know - but if you investigate, you might find one cheaper.

I would also investigate shooting light loads - my new favorite is a 3/4 oz. twelve gauge that smokes 95% of the targets i am likely to see when I shoot sporting clays - VERY soft on the shoulder - dropping from 7/8 to 3/4 effects an almost 30% reduction in actual recoil.

IF you add some form of weight to the back, remember to do so to the front to balance the gun better
Old September 21, 2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Sphawley

Im a 20 year old guy, recoil does not bother me much not at least shotguns. I was only considering adding on to my Benelli, founda really good deal on a reducer.

Could the weight of the new mercury reducer throw off the balance? How can you tell?
Old September 21, 2010, 12:40 PM   #4
jmr40

Not worth it in the Benelli to me. The Nova is already one one of the heaviest pumps on the market and adding another 1/2 lb in the buttstock would make for an unwieldy gun in my opinion.

Good advice on shooting lighter loads. Also look into one of the new high tech recoil pads on the market. Not sure they make one for the Nova, but they make a big difference on the guns I've used them on.
Old September 21, 2010, 12:53 PM   #5
JNewell

Heavy...expensive...changes balance and handling. :barf:

Get the Sims LimbSaver 10401 recoil pad and be happy.
Old September 21, 2010, 01:14 PM   #6
oneounceload

Quote:
Im a 20 year old guy, recoil does not bother me much not at least shotguns. I was only considering adding on to my Benelli, founda really good deal on a reducer.

Could the weight of the new mercury reducer throw off the balance? How can you tell?
The damage from recoil is cumulative over time; when you're 50, you'll start having a twinge here and there.....(ask ME how I know).

Depending on how your gun is currently balanced, you'll be adding upwards of 8oz to the rear of the gun. Even heavy, that MAY tend to make the gun butt heavy and therefore feel "whippy". Of course, if your gun is currently very muzzle heavy - it might actually help balance it better. A gun SHOULD balance perfectly between the hands. When you hold your gun in the firing position, the balance point should be in the middle of them so the gun feels neither muzzle heavy or butt heavy. Some folks like a little muzzle heaviness as it tends to smooth their swing out better - great for most American clay target games as the targets are fairly slow and on a constant arc. (Live bird shooting like pigeons is another ballgame entirely)
Old September 21, 2010, 01:39 PM   #7
zippy13

I've tried an in-the-stock mercury filled recoil reducer, and I can't tell the difference between it and a solid weight. The Nova may be a heavier pump, but it doesn't swing like a comp O/U. For Skeet, if you're looking for added mass to eat some recoil and/or smooth your swing you'll want the added weight in the barrel area -- not the butt stock.

For barrel weights there are units that clamp to the barrel or attach to the mag cap. A cheap method for added mass is to place a shot filled hull, or two, in the front of the mag tube.
Old September 21, 2010, 01:45 PM   #8
oneounceload

Sphawley - don't know what you're shooting now for trap/skeet, but anything over 7/8 oz. is simply not needed. When the International governing bodies went to 24 gm (about 7/8), there was a loud hue and cry about how scores were going to plummet, when in reality, the scores went up. less recoil means less fatigue, which means better scores and less long-term damage. After you get your weight/balance issue resolved, look to your load for the next way to reduce recoil
Old September 21, 2010, 03:58 PM   #9
Sphawley

That makes sense for long term, I will have to figure out the balance of my gun and play with it a little. I havent had the gun more than 6 months and i try to go out and practice at least once a week.

Oneounce load- I already use a 7/8 load, its a great load for for what I have been doing.
Old September 21, 2010, 06:16 PM   #10
zippy13

Quote:
When the International governing bodies went to 24 gm (about 7/8), there was a loud hue and cry about how scores were going to plummet, when in reality, the scores went up. less recoil means less fatigue, which means better scores and less long-term damage.
Most elite level international shooters are pretty well conditioned. I don't think less fatigue influenced scores as much as the quicker recovery time with the lighter loads. Getting that second shot off a bit sooner makes a huge difference when shooting those fast flying int'l targets.
Old September 25, 2010, 01:20 AM   #11
Oldfalguy

Damn, I've been shooting AA 1 1/8 clays ammo and thought it was
pretty good- Haven't seen any 7/8ths but I would like to- I'm 54.
For a field and sporting clays gun I have been using an SX3
weighs nothing but doesn't kick much either-
I have a Beretta 687EL I was given years ago and it flat kicks hell out of me
Weighs more and think I swing it better so I am going to get a bumpmaster
installed next month and give it another try and if I can find some 7/8ths I think it would kick less than the SX3.
Old September 25, 2010, 04:55 AM   #12
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfalguy
…if I can find some 7/8ths I think it would kick less than the SX3.
Oldfalguy,
Check Midway.com (or any major supplier) and you'll see plenty of 7/8-oz 12-ga loads. Be aware of prices: Winchester "Double-A" low recoil are $8.99 a box and Winchester "WinLite" low recoil are $11.49/box. Why the price difference?… they're both 980fps loads. With the price of lead shot, the 7/8-oz loads should be cheaper than the standard 1-1/8 oz shells; but, they aren't (that's no big surprise).

At 980fps these the light 12s have less energy than a standard target 28-ga load. These slow and lite 12s should kick just a pinch little more than a .410-bore. I'm pretty sure my friend, oneounceload, makes his 7/8-oz 12s like I do: close to standard target velocity of 1150 to 1200fps. With 7/8 oz 12s, if you reload, you can tailor the velocity to your liking and take advantage of significant savings in shot.