The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2010, 06:16 PM   #1
newguy07

light 44 mag load help

I am looking for a light load to use in my 44 mag rifle for short distance plinking (20-30 yards mostly) when deer season in not in. I just purchased some rainner 240 grain bullets and they recommend using lead bullet data. I have bullseye and universal powder onhand and would like to be able to use one of these 2 powders.

The only data I have found for 240 grain lead so far was from alliant and was for 6 grains of bullseye for a 240 LSWC. The rainners are a flat point bullet. Can the LSWC data be used? If so how low can I go below the 6 grains since that should be a max load?

Are there any other loads you would recommend instead?
Old February 28, 2010, 11:31 PM   #2
Malamute

I use 9 grs Unique for a medium load, any 200 to 250 gr cast bullet. Nice load, not much recoil, but more power than 44 spl's. Been using it since the early 80's.

When the topic of a medium load in 44 comes up on the leverguns forum, the same load seems to be popular with a number of guys.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old February 28, 2010, 11:43 PM   #3
bluetopper

6gr of Bullseye will be a very soft shooting load out of a 44 Mag, rifle or revolvers.

I shoot 7.5gr of Bullseye 240gr LSWC for 1,000fps out of my revolvers.
Old February 28, 2010, 11:50 PM   #4
zippy13

My load is milder than Malamute's, not even up to .44 spl standards. For .44 rem mag lite plinking and paper punching, I use a home-cast 200 gr WC over 5.7 gr of Unique with a dacron filler. These work great in revolvers, but might not feed in all rifles.
Old March 1, 2010, 10:30 AM   #5
AlaskaMike

I like 6 grains of Clays under a 200 grain cast RNFP bullet in my Rossi 92. It's extremely light and quiet, although I do have to jack up the rear sight a bit compared to the normal load I use.

I would think that Clays load would be very comparable to your 6 grain Bullseye load and that you'll probably be very happy with it. My only recommendation would be to be VERY careful to avoid double charging. Ultimately, Trail Boss would be the best to use for a load like this.

Mike
Old March 1, 2010, 11:48 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

I have shot 240 grain Hornady swaged lead SWC's from revolvers with as little as 2.9 grains of Bullseye. This was in .44 Special, but since the COL's for .44 Special and .44 Mag are essentially the same, they have the same powder space under the bullet, so same loads will get same pressures and velocities from same length barrels. It shot about 1 5/8" at 25 yards from my 3" Charter Bulldog. So, I think you will be just fine anywhere from around 3 grains to 6 grains with Bullseye. Dacron filler will make it more consistent, but Bullseye isn't particularly position sensitive, so it's an option you can try. See if it improves accuracy or not?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle