The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2009, 01:20 PM   #1
The Banana

Need advice, new gun for my husband's birthday

Hi all, new here. He has a S&W 9mm now, it is used for home defense. He loves the gun though was wishing to sell it and get something new. The gun is a few years short of being a collectible so he is keeping it and I still would like to get him a fabulous gun that he can be proud of at the range and something that makes him WANT to go with me to the range more. His birthday is in 22 days, I believe I have a 10 day wait time so I need to decide fast fast fast.

Any thoughts? What are your favorites and why? We have no kids so "safety" is not an issue.
Old February 13, 2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Derekadavis

will he be carrying this new gun? concealed? open? or just a fun range gun?
do you have a price range?
Old February 13, 2009, 01:27 PM   #3
FyredUp

I am going to tell you what everyone has told me regarding guns and my girlfriend. Ask him what he wants. Or better yet take him to the gun store, say surprise, and tell him to pick it out. Because in reality it doesn't matter what anyone here tells you he might like, only HE knows what he might like.
Old February 13, 2009, 01:27 PM   #4
cavediver27

Just give him $1,000 and tell him to "go buy yourself something nice", I'm sure he'll find the right one
Old February 13, 2009, 01:28 PM   #5
#18indycolts

anything but a 1911. :barf:
Old February 13, 2009, 01:29 PM   #6
Playboypenguin

Most independent gun shops offer gift certificates. I know I always love getting a gift certificate to my favorite gun shop. It is always my favorite gift. If you don't believe me, just buy me one and see how happy I become.
Old February 13, 2009, 01:29 PM   #7
Derekadavis

that is a good point!! that way you know he will like the gun. and know it fits his hand good.
Old February 13, 2009, 01:40 PM   #8
IanS

Most people prefer to choose their handguns. Trust me on this one.

Like FyredUp says, take him to the gunstore and make an afternoon of it. Tell him you're taking him someplace and that its a surprise. And when you get to the gunstore tell him to pick out a pistol (within your budget).

Better than the anxiety of him not liking what you chose for him and the complication and expense of legally putting handgun in his name. He will appreciate it more and it probably will be a nice birthday experience for both of you.
Old February 13, 2009, 01:41 PM   #9
Playboypenguin

Besides, buying someone a gun removes 90% of the fun. We men are hunters. The act of picking out the gun (sizing them all up, studying them, singling out the one we want, moving in for the kill/purchase) is a big part of the thrill.
Old February 13, 2009, 01:46 PM   #10
IanS

Yes. The experience is definately part of the thrill of getting a new gun.
Old February 13, 2009, 02:01 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Banana,

This is my thought. It may come across as sexist. I do NOT intend to demean the female gender:

I see that women in general want men to go through the process of finding the perfect gift, have it wrapped, and give it ON TIME along with a card with a thoughtful note. There's NOTHING wrong with this. But if it were my wife wanting to get a gun for me, this is how I would like it to go down....

She takes me out to lunch at our favorite casual restaurant. Nothing fancy. Plain clothes dress is a must (You'll understand later). She tells me during lunch that we're going to get my gift. She, not me, drives over to my favorite gun shop. When we get in the store, all she tells me is "Choose". Obviously set a budget if that's an issue. We both rent the candidates to see if it fits the bill (hence, the casual dress).

Let him pick out a gun that's in stock or let him order one. IT WILL NOT MATTER. He will be more than happy to know he's getting a gun for his birthday even though he may have to order it. We don't need the gift ON our birthday, just knowing we will get one.

Just my point of view. Please let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; February 13, 2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: added content...
Old February 13, 2009, 02:02 PM   #12
Stevie-Ray

I agree with everyone here but this:
Quote:
anything but a 1911.
That's just silly.

Just get him a card and tell him what you want to do. Then, as was was said, take him to the gun store of your choice and let him shop.

You need to know that you're one incredible wife. I know because I've got one like you.

And BTW, welcome from the Great Lake State.
Old February 13, 2009, 02:03 PM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Take him to shop and let him pick out what he wants. A new gun might be a nice surprise, but a new gun that he really wants would be a better surpise.

Additionally, since you are in California, some of models that might be suggested here might not be available there.
Old February 13, 2009, 02:06 PM   #14
sserdlihc

Quote:
Take him to shop and let him pick out what he wants
Unless you know exactly what he wants...then the above is the best advise!!
Old February 13, 2009, 02:14 PM   #15
IanS

If my wife bought a handgun for me that I didn't like I'd still treasure it and would never sell it or trade it. But secretly I'd try to think of ways I could get away with it.
Old February 13, 2009, 02:33 PM   #16
rantingredneck

Quote:
Banana,

This is my thought. It may come across as sexist. I do NOT intend to demean the female gender:

I see that women in general want men to go through the process of finding the perfect gift, have it wrapped, and give it ON TIME along with a card with a thoughtful note. There's NOTHING wrong with this. But if it were my wife wanting to get a gun for me, this is how I would like it to go down....

She takes me out to lunch at our favorite casual restaurant. Nothing fancy. Plain clothes dress is a must (You'll understand later). She tells me during lunch that we're going to get my gift. She, not me, drives over to my favorite gun shop. When we get in the store, all she tells me is "Choose". Obviously set a budget if that's an issue. We both rent the candidates to see if it fits the bill (hence, the casual dress).

Let him pick out a gun that's in stock or let him order one. IT WILL NOT MATTER. He will be more than happy to know he's getting a gun for his birthday even though he may have to order it. We don't need the gift ON our birthday, just knowing we will get one.

Just my point of view. Please let us know what you do and how it turns out.
+1 to everything this gentleman said.

If my wife were buying me a gun for my birthday (which is in 15 days, but fat chance ) This is how I'd like for it to happen.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 13, 2009, 02:39 PM   #17
Apone

Tuttle is smart.
Old February 13, 2009, 02:58 PM   #18
The Banana

Hearing you

I heard what everyone said when I asked him hypothetically if it was a very personal gift if it should be chosen or left to him he said it should be a team effort, meaning I still need to do the research and bring him some options.

It would be home defense, at some later date it might be used for Conceal Carry, but that is not an option today and may not ever be in this place.

My budget is $1000
Old February 13, 2009, 03:38 PM   #19
Heavilin

Thunder ranch

Buy him a 325 thunder ranch smith wesson, this gun is made in the SW performance center, will shoot 3/4" at 25 yards of the bench, can shoot 5 in a small hole at 15 yards off hand in about 3 seconds, get the 45acp go on the smith an wesson website and check it out, they have a video on the pistol, good luck, it right around 1000 bucks.

Don
Old February 13, 2009, 03:53 PM   #20
IanS

Wait, he wants choosing his next pistol to be a team effort, for you to do the research and for you to bring some options?!

What a guy. I got a suggestion then, S&W 500 revolver with 4 " barrel. He'll love it I promise.
Old February 13, 2009, 04:03 PM   #21
LUGNUTT

I have to go with FyredUp on this one.
Old February 13, 2009, 04:22 PM   #22
Skans

I'm going to give you a list of guns that I would want if I were your husband:

Sig X-Five .40 S&W or 9mm
HK P7M13
STI - anything STI would be much appreciated.

Nothing says "I love you" to a gun guy, like one of those beauties for Valantines Day.

And, if my wife ever bought me one of those, you better believe I'd cherrish that gun forever....and her too.
Old February 13, 2009, 05:26 PM   #23
HvyMtl

hmm

Banana, you have a sister?

Tuttle8 and Fyredup are right. Go take him with and find the perfect one for him...

Feed him his favorite meal.

and do shoot at the range too. Sounds like a good B-day to me...

(Wishes he could find a wife that would go $1000 on a new pistol...)
Old February 13, 2009, 05:28 PM   #24
Playboypenguin

For $1000 my advice would be to take him shopping and make sure he sees the Dan Wesson CBOB and the Sig P229 Elite.
Old February 13, 2009, 05:56 PM   #25
Officer's Match

I'd recommend buying as much Colt 1911 as $1000 will buy in your area. He will love it, and if not, can likely get full price for it if he chooses to (but he won't). That's what I'd want Mrs. Match to do, and I for one would love the surprise.