The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 20, 2015, 05:07 PM   #51
NateKirk

One of the most important things is trusting the gun that you are shooting. If you at all feel that the gun will explode, bite or smack your hands in any way, or you have any other reason to not trust the gun, consider getting another one. I've had guns that I don't trust and I don't even bother with them anymore. Also consider everyone elses advice; get good hearing protection, start with a lower caliber, etc. Wearing gloves may help too.

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old March 21, 2015, 12:54 PM   #52
Shoot

The LC9 is what I carry and what I shoot at self defense courses. But it seems to me to be a pretty challenging firearm for one's introduction to pistols. As you say, it has a very long trigger pull, but if you can dry fire it comfortably, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the long pull just makes anticipating that VERY snappy recoil so much the worse. Many experienced shooters don't find the LC9 comfortable for shooting a lot of rounds, and if you're not used to pistols, it's probably fairly off-putting. Your brain might be saying to itself that it really doesn't want to collect the prize at the end of the trigger pull. Familiarization and working your way up to the LC9 seems like a reasonable approach, especially if you're used to being around guns in general. Good luck!
Old March 23, 2015, 11:24 PM   #53
subhuman

this is going to sound weird but if there is a rental range close to you see if they have a K frame .38/.357 revolver with a 4 " barrel, get some standard pressure 158 grain .38 spc. ammo and try shooting it some in both single and double action, you will not be dealing with the moving slide and sharp recoil of the light LC9, you may even want to consider a different cc gun like the S&W Shield 9mm, it's a much softer shooting gun than the ruger. I think your biggest problem is just dreading the recoil on that small 9mm.

It is much more fun to shoot a pistol when you are not flinching away from it or even dreading to pull the trigger.
Old March 24, 2015, 02:06 PM   #54
FlySubCompact

Quote:
Do a search on "target panic" and you'll find it's quite common with both firearms and bows
(Note: I don't even like to say/read/spell the words "-arget -anic")

Had a bout of that scourge during my competitive archery days.

I don't think that is what the OP has though. Sounds more fear related. Like the noise and shock of recoil has scared her for some reason. Kind of like a flinch, but worse. She did mention being a small person.

My wife developed a flinch right after she started shooting her Glock 23. We read up on it online. We read that the shooter needs a helper and some snap caps. The helper stands behind the shooter. The shooter is then handed the weapon by the helper. The shooter has no idea if the pistol has snap caps or real rounds and takes shots alternating with both. Cleared her flinching right up after a while.
Old March 28, 2015, 11:21 AM   #55
SVTCobra306

I carry an LC9, actually an LC9s striker fired version. I had the original LC9, and I can see developing a bad flinch or even fear with its trigger. It is smooth and consistent, but very long and can easily leave you anticipating the shot. It also has a pretty stout recoil for a 9mm, which is expected out of a very small pistol. Both of these combined can tend to make you not want to shoot it much. I shot about a hundred rounds out of my LC9s last night, and I was happy to put it away and start plugging rounds out of my Sig P229 afterward, it's just more enjoyable.

I agree with previous posts that were recommending a .22LR pistol. A great choice is a Ruger Mark II or III, depending on what you can find. I have a Mark III target that I picked up new last year, and it's my go-to for giving myself a mental "reset" away from all of my centerfires. Being a heavy barreled .22LR, it has virtually zero recoil, so any movement of the pistol when you fire it is solely due to your own failure to apply the fundamentals of pistol shooting. It will really tell on you if you pick it up after shooting something like your LC9 and start squeezing off rounds.

Another option if you want to change things altogether, is looking into a Sig Sauer. Many of their handguns have an available .22LR conversion, so you can train and plink for fun with the same trigger and frame as you carry, and switch back to a centerfire for more training or to carry for protection. Just an option that's out there.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old March 29, 2015, 08:51 PM   #56
Boncrayon

Fear of pulling trigger.

Your fear is not about pulling the trigger, rather a fear of when the firearm ultimately discharges and recoils. That's why "follow through" is important. Squeeze the trigger until the gun decides to fire...loose the tendency to "pull" the trigger. If it is a double action revolver, pre-cock the hammer for ease of squeezing. Of course, good ear protection prevents the shock wave on your ears.
Old April 19, 2015, 06:50 AM   #57
larryh1108

Quote:
The trigger is so long and I can see it pulling down which kind of freaks me out because it's like 'when is it going to go off' sort of thing.
It sounds, to me, that practicing with a gun with a SA trigger is the way to go until you are comfortable pulling the trigger. It can be a 1911 type gun or a Browning Hi Power or similar. Also, a DA/SA revolver could also do the trick. If you are used to a rifle trigger and moved to a long DA pistol trigger I can see how you would notice a huge difference.

Tags
fear , trigger , woman