The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 6, 2015, 10:38 AM   #1
dr1445

rem 1858 target sight

the saga continues. with the rear adjustable sight bottomed out in the lowest position the rem is shooting 4 1/2" high @ 25 ft. the front sight is on a dovetail and i see the sight listed in the parts schematic but are different heights offered? there is always the hardware store some key stock and a file. is there a path of lower resistance?
Old November 6, 2015, 11:00 AM   #2
foolzrushn

Don't you want to shoot farther than 25 feet?

I think the sights were set up for a much greater distance. For 25 feet you can just point-and-shoot. Almost a shame for a target model. If you set it up for 25 feet and then want to shoot farther (50 yards??) your sights will be way off.

You will need to make that tall front sight even taller for 25 feet. I would just try shooting a greater distance first, and aim low for 25 feet before changing the sights. You might surprise yourself with your skill.

certified 'soap welder'
Old November 6, 2015, 11:09 AM   #3
dr1445

sorry at 70 yrs the open sights don't work that well for my eyes past 25 yds. 25' was what was available this morning and since i was checking out the load lever fix i was ok with that. still going to shoot high at 25 yds. i would rather have the sight adjustable for the distance i might be shooting, call it 10 to 25 yds.
Old November 6, 2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

Is it possible....

To make a modification to the rear sight?

If POI is higher than POA by 4.5 inches at 25 feet and if your sight distance is 9 inches (I think that is close), the slot in the sight would have to come down by about .135 in or just under 9/64th.
Old November 6, 2015, 12:16 PM   #5
dr1445

doc, the bottom of the rear sight sits in a frame slot but where the screw holds the sight in is a boss that sits in a mating counter bored hole in the frame. better to make the front sight taller i think? plus if i make a new dovetail post with a file, i have wasted nothing but my time if i screw up. i plan to go that way if there is not a commercial sight post available.
Old November 6, 2015, 04:58 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Dr

Yes I agree about the front sight except for the fact that the front sight is already very tall. I increased the height on a standard Remington Sheriff's model and it really looks odd.
Old November 6, 2015, 08:04 PM   #7
dr1445

i agree on the odd look of a taller front sight. i already have a lyman/uberti in 36 and i was looking for an uberti 8" 44 for a decent price, the iver johnson fit the bill. maybe the best setup for me is a dovetail front sight as taller sights are available.
Old November 9, 2015, 07:08 PM   #8
Rookie21

Taller front sight = Problem Solved

I had a whole post dedicated to my Pietta 1858 Target Model. I'll look for the link but I replaced the rear sight with one for a Ruger New Model Blackhawk, and had to have material added to the front sight to make it taller. Looks weird as could be but I won the Revolver Agg out right with it along with the National Champ title this year at Friendship.

Here ya go!

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565496

I shot a 99 on the international target at friendship. 10 ring was ragged.
Old November 9, 2015, 10:17 PM   #9
dr1445

great shootin there r21. it's clear there is no commercial solution to the problem. the front sight on the ij/uberti has a dovetail base. i should able to drive the post out of the dovetail and either add material to the oem post or file a new one. odd that the dovetail is inline with the barrel rather than across the barrel.
Old November 11, 2015, 10:56 AM   #10
foolzrushn

dr1445

Maybe you wait to try it at the actual distance you want, to see how far off it hits before working on the front sight. Perhaps it's closer than you think at 25 yards...or you might just be able to shoot with that front sight at a distance greater than you think, and it would fall into the adjustment range of the rear sight without a mod.

If you will be using a holster, a taller front sight can drag. The Pietta target model has a very sharp corner at the top of the front sight in stock form. Don't know about Uberti.

certified 'soap welder'
Old November 11, 2015, 06:26 PM   #11
dr1445

i got the hack saw and the files out and started to rough out a new sight insert from a bolt. the insert installs from the muzzle into the sight base that has a dovetail inline with the barrel. meanwhile the revolver is off on a trip to goons workshop. i will finish the sight when it returns.