The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 9, 2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Wyoredman

Remington 700CDL, Stock touching

I found a near new Remington 700 CDL in .270 Win at the pawnshop last week. It is mounted with a 3-9X Burris Fullfield II scope. I paid $650 for the set up.

The stock was very tight on the forend, I could not get a dollar bill to slide between the stock and barrel. I took the stock off and noticed that there was a 1" section that had not been milled at the factory. I sanded the barrel channel so as to remove this protrusion. Now, when I tighten the recoil lug bolt, the very tip of the forearm contacts the barrel. Did I screw up by removing a factory "barrel Block of some sort?
Old July 9, 2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Scorch

No, you just took out the factory pressure point. Since you have already started messing with it, go ahead and finish free-floating it.
Old July 9, 2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Wyoredman

Scorch,

Should I continue with a dowl wraped in sandpaper until the forearm tip dosen't touch anymore? Would bedding the recoil lug make any differance, or just be more work? Any hints would be appriciated.
Old July 9, 2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Scorch

The dowel/sandpaper will work OK until you get the barrel channel opened up to the point that you can slide a sheet of paper between the barrel and stock and it goes up to the chamber area. Don't open it up too much, just enough to clear a sheet of paper.

Bedding the recoil lug is an entirely different subject. If you are going to bed the lug, do it after you are done with the barrel.
Old July 9, 2012, 05:24 PM   #5
10-96

Hey there, hope you and Scorch don't object to me tosing in my $.02 worth.

In my opinion- yes, go ahead and finish with the sand paper wrapped dowel. I suspect it's just the older crowd (mostly) who believe that any sort of bedding is a cure looking for a problem so to speak. Some rifles simply don't need it and gain nothing from it. If, however, you finish the free-float, torque your action screws, and it still does not group well for you- then look into bedding.

On the other hand, there are a great many rifles out there that do gain a lot from different bedding types/jobs.

If you stop what you already started, and begin another project on it- how will you know where any future problems lie? Have you even shot the rifle yet to determine whether it needed anything in the first place? Honest, I'm not gigging your wisdom, integrity, or anything, but I'm starting to get the gut feeling that a fair number of folks purchase a firearm, haul it home, and immediately think something along the lines of, "Hey, a new firearm- I better hurry up and start tweaking and fixing this thing before I go shoot it." Just because you have a firearm does not mean you have to find something wrong with it.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 9, 2012, 05:43 PM   #6
Wyoredman

Scorch, Thanks for the info. I will finish the float job and see what happens.

Quote:
"Hey, a new firearm- I better hurry up and start tweaking and fixing this thing before I go shoot it."
19-96, You are 100% correct in that I just brought the gun home, tried to get a piece of paper between the barrel and noticed the wood left in the channel. I might have jumped the gun, but now I am committed. I just have never had a rifle where the stock was in such tight contact with the barrel! I should have shot it first! Dang it!

Anyway, I will continue sanding now and get the tube "floating". Humm?
Old July 9, 2012, 10:14 PM   #7
10-96

Wyo- I really want razzin ya man- I done the same thing in years past til the old Smith I was apprenticing under took me to task. Since then, I've only come across an old sporterized Mauser, a Win 70, and a CZ 527 that did not seem to benefit from any free-floating or other tinkering. It's kinda neat to get ahold of an old rifle that runs like a top just the way it left the factory.

You seem kinda mystified on the term "floating". That comes from free-floating, where the barrel 'floats' above the groove in the stock without touching anything from the chamber area on out to the end.

Let us know how things progress and how she shoots.

And most of all- have fun.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 13, 2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Wyoredman

I finished sanding the barrel channel. I can slide a folded piece of paper between the stock and the barrel all the way to the action. If you look at the end of the stock, you can't tell it has been sanded under the barrel! I hope it shoots well. Tomorrow is the day I will try it! Thanks for your help, fellas!