The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2001, 08:37 AM   #1
dick w. holliday

i recently started loading a bunch of LC,RA, and WRA military brass i've had for a while. i've swaged the primer pockets via RCBS and i'm using my 4X4 RCBS press which has plenty of power to load them. the problrm is that the primers are so hard to seat that i am practically exhausted after a hundred rounds or so. Last nite i had a bunch of sized and swaged brass that was ready to load and i was dreading the priming station so much that i primed them in my freestanding RCBS priming machine rather than priming them in the progressive. Seems to me that i remember 308 military being tough but i'd appreciate comments or suggestions. i wonder if my swaging method is part of the problem. i think i'll try some that have cut out primer pockets rather than swaged....thanks in advance...Dick
Old March 15, 2001, 10:10 AM   #2
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Might want to try lightly chamfering the primer pocket.

I've run into the same thing even when recutting pockets and after chamfering. These get pitched.
Old March 15, 2001, 06:19 PM   #3
AlbertaCanada

Labgrade- I concur.

I have a couple thousand ex- mil cases that I used an RCBS chamfering tool on to get rid of the crimp. They are a bit tighter than the refular brass when repriming,but I use a Lee autoprime without to much effort. I suppose it has a much better mechanical advantage.
Good Luck.
Old March 16, 2001, 09:46 AM   #4
MADISON

PRIMING TROUBLE

I had "on the press" priming troubles. Swedge the primer pockets and then ream out the primer pocket.

I bought an RCBS "Automatic Priming Tool"[Bench Mounted]part number: 09460 for about $55.
Old March 18, 2001, 12:41 AM   #5
S&W Man

If you reload a lot of military brass that has the crimped primer, you might want to invest in something like the Dillon Swager. I bought one of them and cured ALL of my hard to prime problems for military crimped brass. I get once fired, swage it on the Dillon tool, and I can load in my progressive, or on my single stage simply and with no problems. Whatever you do don't over cut the pocket as I have seen in a lot of commercial reloads lately that gives less room to grip and hold the primer.

The second admendment GUARANTEES the other nine and the Constitution!