The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 6, 2001, 11:52 PM   #1
bullseye

I've always heard that you never reverse a bore brush in the middle of the bore. So how does one properly use a chamber cleaning brush in your shotgun?
Old February 7, 2001, 07:43 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Clean it from the breech.
Old February 7, 2001, 09:39 PM   #3
bullseye

Dave, I understand that you clean from the breach. I was looking for some advice on whether you clean the chamber by twisting the brush while cycling it in and out of the chamber or cycling the brush in and out without twisting. I'm refering to just the chamber here, not the entire barrel. There are special chamber brushes with short handles for this job. Just wanted to know how everyone uses them.
Old February 8, 2001, 09:06 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry, I must have brainlocked on this one. I use a standard bore brush and do not send it all the way down to the muzzle, but just keep in the chamber area. And I twist it around to ensure I get all the surfaces.

I use an oil bob to do the chamber also.
Old February 8, 2001, 03:09 PM   #5
bullseye

Thanks Dave, that's what I was looking for.
Old February 8, 2001, 04:09 PM   #6
PJR

With brass brushes, I usually don't worry about reversing the direction in the chamber. The brass is a lot softer than the steel.

The oversized brushes for the chamber and forcing cones are great because this is where most of the plastic and gunk seems to collect. I dip the brush into a mild solvent and twist the brush in the chamber and cones and then put it back out. It makes cleaning the barrels much easier.

Old February 8, 2001, 10:30 PM   #7
Ledbetter

what I do

Any body else do this? (1) Center 2" patch on barrel, push through with bronze brush. (2) Brush normally. (3) Repeat step one. (4) Oil bore with mop.
Old February 9, 2001, 09:17 AM   #8
LIProgun

My understanding is that the advice about not reversing a bore brush is more to protect the brush, than the bore. The bristles on a bronze brush tend to break off when you do that. I can't see how the much softer bronze can damage a steel bore.

Still, I generally follow the advice, and don't reverse the brush.

I find that a nylon-bristle bottle brush works well on shotgun chambers. You can really scrub with no danger of damage to the chamber. True, nylon is not as aggressive as either a bronze bore brush or a proper chamber brush. But I find that with regular attention, the combination of cleaning the chamber and bore with the bronze bore brush, and a little scrubbing with the nylon bottle brush and solvent, keeps the chamber very clean.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old February 11, 2001, 01:02 AM   #9
Bennett Richards

Tyco Tool....

I have become a confirmed tyco-tool user. Insert the brush from either muxxel or chamber, run up the bore, twist 4-5 times and Voila! Clean enough. Every 10-20 outings I do a heavy clean with a wire brush... but no more than that.

Ben