The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old November 19, 2012, 07:55 AM   #51
buck460XVR

Coyotes are predators who's numbers need to be controlled for our good and their good also. While bad, poorly placed shots are common in the real hunting world, intentionally wounding any animal so that it suffers a long and painful death has nuttin' to do with ethics. It has to do with being sick in the head. There's a big difference.
Old November 19, 2012, 09:59 AM   #52
KenL

I live in Denver. Urban coyotes are a big issue here, and if I could shoot the ones that are in the open space behind my house I would.

They're sneaky little turds. They will lure dogs into a steep creek bank where the dogs can't get out easily and then they gang up on them and it's bye bye to the family pet.

I've lived in the Midwest and heard them kill a cow. The cows scream for what seems like hours as the coyotes kill it. The sound travels for miles.

No sympathy from me for coyotes.
Old November 19, 2012, 10:19 AM   #53
geetarman

There are no "winners" in this thread. . . . . .

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 19, 2012, 10:50 AM   #54
PT-92

Quote:
geetarman
There are no "winners" in this thread. . . . . .
^^If that doesn't sum it up, I don't know what does/would.^^

I say stick a fork in her--she's done...
Old November 19, 2012, 10:53 AM   #55
L_Killkenny

Quote:
This fantasy world makes me sick.
Bingo. This has to be the dumbest thread starter for anti-hunting and ethics in a hunting forum I've seen in years. Wow.
Old November 19, 2012, 11:12 AM   #56
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Bait post.
Looks like one to me too Sarge.

OP, I doubt there are many coyote hunters who take delight in making coyotes suffer. As has already been pointed out numerous times in this thread, coyotes are a pest species that do lots of damage. Having them spade and neutered, then adopted by loving homes is not feasible. Hunting them is the most effective way to control their population. In that hunting process, some will be wounded and die a slower death than others will. Thats reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinaz View Post
Real life is not like the Disney movies man.
Old November 19, 2012, 12:47 PM   #57
rickyrick

So everyone feels better.... I will kiss all of my dead coyotes on the forehead right before I pitch their carcass into the bone pit...

Anyone can quote me on that
Old November 19, 2012, 02:31 PM   #58
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I figure that if somebody else who has little or no understanding of issues concerning predators finds this thread, it might prove educational.

Nuff fer now.
Old November 19, 2012, 07:29 PM   #59
scrubcedar

I'm going to repost a story from my own experience. Lived in a rural suburb of Denver when my kids were smaller. (9-14y.o.) The coyotes were VERY thick in the area and equally aggressive. It got to the point where nightly we would hear the yipping that they used to communicate while they were running down prey, then silence when they caught it. The kids started coming home in the evening saying as the sun started to go down the coyotes would start to follow them. The thing that prompted some changes was when they came in, and ran in the door terrified saying a pack had followed them making those sounds. They were on their bikes at the time and able to get safely home, barely. I called the local LE and asked if they had heard anything along those lines. Turns out new building in the area had concentrated them near our house and they were killing pets and scaring joggers pretty much daily. Too close to town to shoot, too many to handle that way anyway. Bought the kids bear pepper spray, best I could do. Part of the reason we moved not too long after.
Coyotes ARE intelligent like the OP said. Hearing other coyotes make horrible sounds as they died MIGHT scare them off the area, a net benefit. I'd feel bad about it but in some cicumstances it's simply needed no matter how it is done.
I feel very close to animals out in the wild. My tribal friends (Shoshone-Bannock) always claimed that how I felt about animals was very close to their beliefs.

I have watched time and time again as small birds attacked a bigger bird to drive it from their territory, and have heard of coyotes deliberately killing off competing predators in their territory.
Even using the OP's logic, I as a fellow animal have the same rights they do.
Old November 19, 2012, 07:41 PM   #60
IneedaName

Hunting is always a win-lose situation

For me it doesn't matter either way. I feel just as bad when I get a clean kill as I do when I have to track my prey after it was wounded. True, other predators in the wild aren't concerned with a "clean" or "humane" kill, but after all, that's what makes us human.
Old November 19, 2012, 08:11 PM   #61
12GaugeShuggoth

Quote:
Hearing other coyotes make horrible sounds as they died MIGHT scare them off the area, a net benefit.
In that case, I think I can single-handedly drive coyotes away from just about anywhere. I bought a coyote howling call last year when I thought I'd try to take up hunting them more proactively. That worked really well At that time we were hearing them every night, and hearing them take down prey at least every other night and sometimes in the middle of the day. I saw as many coyotes as I did deer while sitting in the woods deer hunting that season.

Well after two weeks of the terrible mutant zombie coyote sounds I was producing, they up and vanished. Our daytime wildlife activity increased and our nighttime local deer started showing back up. I think I've heard them once since then, and I started screeching through the night at them again for about a week..........not a peep heard since. I don't find the dead animals scattered every where on our property now, and I've even been seeing a couple bobcats again.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; November 19, 2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Thread Closure
Old November 19, 2012, 08:39 PM   #62
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Art must have missed the close button.
Closed Thread