The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old December 25, 2011, 10:14 AM   #51
hoffbill

Incidentally, Will Lee brought up the neck shots. Nice job at 200+ yds BTW.

I am also a fan of the neck shot because I am old and lame and don't consider it fun to follow Bambi's blood trail thru the brush in the dark. We encourage the hunters on our ranch to do neck shots whenever possible because you usually get a clean kill or a miss. Have only seen one deer leave the scene, it was a solid hit but did not shatter the spine as usually happens. That deer went about 75yds before it bled out. My son felt bad but is was actually a good shot, just did not get the usual result. Note that on our ranch, with box stand/feeder/food plot set ups there are rarely shots taken past 100 yds at most.

I have taken probably 10 or 12 deer with my .223 using neck shots.. None of those deer took even 1 step. Probably more evidence that shot placement takes priority over fire power. Does not matter how big the bullet is if it misses or inflicts a wound in a non-lethal location.
Old December 25, 2011, 10:57 AM   #52
warbirdlover

I had to use a neck shot on a doe a few years ago as that was all I had in the thick trees she was walking through. Dropped on the spot.
Old February 9, 2022, 04:12 PM   #53
gemihur

If it's too fast, just use a little shorter barrel
It'll only do about 2900 fps
Old February 9, 2022, 11:10 PM   #54
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Having 130 gr seated. I reload my 270 cartridge's to 3200 fps at muzzle. I seldom aim for the deer ribs. As the bullet is so flat shooting at that velocity I am confident making terminal lower neck shots having overwhelming energy out to 200 yrds. Closer than 200. I aim at the throats white patch. Ballistic Tip Nosler I no longer use will leave a elongated foot long hole or meat tear where you can easily see the light of day thru the animals shredded neck tissue. As I was taught the faster the bullet speed the more violent/ tissue destructive a bullet becomes. These days the old Win 130 gr. Silver Tips are my preferred. A Lock Stock and Barrel inventory purchase before their bankruptcy.
Old February 10, 2022, 06:01 PM   #55
dgludwig

Once upon a time, a few Christmases ago...
Old February 11, 2022, 04:14 PM   #56
Paul B.

Interesting! More proof of life after death. This thread started in 2011.

I decided to read all the posts from day one and I noticed something missing. Dunno how many here have used or even remember the old Remington bronze point bullets? Granted I have to admit I never used them in a .270, at least not that I can recall, but I have used them in the 30-06 and found performance somewhat erratic to say the least. I used the 150 gr. BP bullets on several deer and many times they would zip right on through with no sign of having expanded. Other times they would blow up like a bomb giving shallow wounds. When they worked right the were a good bullet.

If the gentleman who made the comment that got this thread started had possibly shot a deer and had a zip though, that might be the basis of his opinion, especially if it happened on more than one occasion.

While I haven't shot as many deer as some here, the ones I shot have been mostly with the Sierra Game King in 150 gr. weight. I always felt the 130 gr. bullets mangled up too much good eating meat hence, the heavier bullet.
Paul B.
Old February 11, 2022, 07:06 PM   #57
dgludwig

"But Lord, he stinketh..." John Chapter 11, verse 39.
Old February 16, 2022, 01:58 PM   #58
dvdcrr

On the 110TTSX, yes and you are on the right principle of using a lighter for caliber solid. They need the speed to open up. And because they stick together, they penetrate as far as a heavier lead bullet which breaks apart. I shot a 64 gr. solid copper in 223 at our 200 yd. steel gong. All lead core bullets turn to dust. However the solid, I went down there and dug it out of the gong with a pair of pliars.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old March 2, 2022, 06:24 PM   #59
langenc

Someone may have shot that deer with a FMJ (full metal jacket) designed to never mushroom...

Suspect the fellow giving you advice never shot anything bit his cousins brother-in-law was the expert..
Old March 2, 2022, 08:15 PM   #60
Drm50

I’ve killed several deer with 130gr bullets. Having more rifles than a sane man should have I loaded some cartridges with lighter bullets to use them on groundhog. The Speer 110 was my varmit load, moving between 3200-3300fps. Friend got damage permits to shoot deer.
We were shooting them of rest, does & head shots only. 100% going into jerky. 100-150 yd
shots. Those 110s would literally take a deers head off. The 130 are more dependable for use in woods.
Old March 3, 2022, 11:25 AM   #61
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yep, this thread is over a decade old.

No need to respond to such a thread to provide an answer, especially when the original poster hasn't been active in going on 3 years.

Going to close this one.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread