The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 31, 2009, 01:47 AM   #1
OLNfan

Whats in your hunting survival kit

I want to hear whats in your hunting survival kit!? I carry mine every where my firearms go. I like to think mines pretty decent but we'll see . What do you guys have??

Also have any of you drilled a hole in ur stock to stick matches ammo etc in their? lets here some surival tips and tricks of the trade!

Flint and stiker/candle/3match boxs of water proof matches/kneedle thread/mini flash light/compass/basic first aid kit/ jet lighter (for fun found a bunch for a dollar)/ All in a hand size pouce..I have 3 pouches all have the exact same thing that I keep in plastic zip lock bags. In my main huting back pack. (why 3?, Im normally hunting with more than 2-3 people so I figure neither of them have anything, most the time they dont)
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."

Last edited by OLNfan; March 31, 2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old March 31, 2009, 02:08 AM   #2
stonedog406

Can't tell you-it's a secret
Old March 31, 2009, 02:11 AM   #3
Hirlau

I don't hunt, but all of my go-to shoulder weapons have a "Stock Kit"; especially my assault weapons.
Consisting of:

Fire Steel
Tender
Water Tablets
cutting blade (type varies on stock)
extra ammo (mainly the .22 cal's)
fishing gear
snare lines
first aid supplies
whistle
button compass
jerky
More...depending on the stock

Of course, if I enter the woods or leave my vehicle for whatever reason a "bug-out" bag goes with me. This always includes a Garmin GPS model 60CSx with Cities Streets and TOPO maps of the state I'm in.
Old March 31, 2009, 02:17 AM   #4
OLNfan

whistle
snare
water tablets!! (how could I forget that)
Ill certinaly have to add those so far
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."
Old March 31, 2009, 05:04 AM   #5
rem870hunter

2 whistle,2 compass,flint/steel bar,extra pr. gloves,ziplock bag or 2 with mini candy bars and lifesavers/hard candies,1qt canteen w/cup and stove, 4" blade folding knife,swiss army knife with 2 knife blades,pliers,etc. Ka-Bar knife.10-15 extra shells,or 8 m/l speedloaders, i carry all this on my person. if i should carry a pack there would be more items, mainly lunch for 2 days MRE's, and 10 extra rifle rounds. i really only carry a pack when out of state hunting or if i'm planning on staying out in the field away from my car all day.
Old March 31, 2009, 07:27 AM   #6
Shorthair

I hunt whitetail on my own land, and carry a daypack with two razor sharp knives, tragging harness, water, book, lunch, snack, nitrile gloves, sharpening stone, flagging tape. That ought to get me to and from the ATV...
I do go for long jaunts behind the bird dogs for grouse, so in my vest goes compass, gps, flashlight, leatherman, bic lighter, toilet paper in ziploc bag, 4" folder, 30' coil of parachute cord, gloves, 4 extra aa batteries, pocketful of shells, some trail mix, 32 oz water. It ain't wilderness but no sense in going out naked.
Old March 31, 2009, 08:11 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Old clean t-shirts and a roll of duct tape to bandage dogs or humans, betadine, and peroxcide for wound cleaning. Other hog doggers have real nice "cut kits" consisting of staple guns (surgical type), scalpels, sutures, IV saline solution, "dex", blue kote, purple spray, blood stop (military corpsmen type), and all the regular stuff of a first aid kit. Some guys kits would make a battle field medic jealous...
I also keep some beer and/or liquor for personal survival...
As a smoker I always have my trusty bic lighter and we have very abundant "lighter knot" pine remnants that will light even wet.

Brent
Old March 31, 2009, 08:21 AM   #8
deanadell

Space Blanket
Lighter
compass
whistle
waterproof matches
water purification tablelets
swiss army knife
toilet paper
Old March 31, 2009, 08:40 AM   #9
12GaugeShuggoth

I almost exclusively hunt on private land, and there's always at least one other person who knows the general area I'll be in, so I tend to only carry what I think I'll realistically need on a given day. My "every time" supplies are just your basics: Water, food, some extra clothes in case I fall in a swamp , my skinning knife, a heavy bladed kukri knife, some rope or chord, extra batteries for my LED flashlight, a lighter, some emergency flares, some extra ammo for whatever I'm carrying, and the ubiquitous toilet paper in a plastic bag.

I made the mistake of not carrying TP with me a while back on a day where I was to desperately need some. After I finished scaring all the critters away with my pasty white behind, I resorted to cutting my boxers off to use as TP.......didn't see any deer that day either .

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old March 31, 2009, 09:19 AM   #10
ZeroJunk

Cell Phone.
Old March 31, 2009, 10:34 AM   #11
FrankenMauser

Toilet paper

Everything else is coincidental.
Old March 31, 2009, 10:45 AM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing but a cell phone. It is, quite literally, impossible to get lost where I hunt. There are roads not more than 3/4 mile in every direction and you can see the ridge line that runs north/south on the other side of the valley from just about everywhere in the woods. That, coupled with long range radios on everybody, makes us pretty hard to lose.
Old March 31, 2009, 11:17 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Cell phone, space blanket, small first aid kit, rope and duct tape.
Old March 31, 2009, 11:24 AM   #14
OLNfan

great feed back guys I new I would end up finding things I should add. As for Deanadell I agree lol with the toilet paper for sure. I forgot to metion I have one in my truck+2 inside a plastic zip lock bag in my hunting back pack. Im often out in the bush just to explore/scout/hunt (normally with a buddy or two) and no body's perfect so figured I should be as well equipped as posible.

Last edited by OLNfan; March 31, 2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old March 31, 2009, 12:30 PM   #15
Daryl

I guess I just don't worry about it all that much these days. Survival is mostly dependant on the knowledge you have. Having a few essentials can certainly help, but without some outdoor knowledge and experience it's still going to be hard to survive for any length of time.

I carry a couple of knives like I wear socks. They're always on me. Same with a j-frame .38 special.

I usually have several ways of making a fire. When camping, I take a turbo-torch; just pull the trigger on it, and you have instant flame to light whatever you want. A roadside signal flare, available at most auto-parts stores, will light a fire from even soaked wood. Wind/water proof matches, the ones issued as "nato" supplies, are great to have. Once lit, the match won't blow out, and won't extinguish even if it's dipped in water. A magnesium fire starter works great too. If you just follow the instructions, you'll be far better at it than those folks are on the "Survivor" series TV show. I've kept one handy for about the last 20 years, and I've used it more than a few times.

Other ways of lighting a fire are usually available if folks stopped and thought about it a little. A flashlight battery and steel wool can be used. So can a piece of steel and a hard, sharp rock. Quarts is readily available around here, and is easily found. A broken piece of it with a sharp edge, when struck with a piece of steel, will give some good sparks. A little charred cotton to catch a spark, then rolled in burlap or a paper towel and blown on, will give a person flame in short order. Of course, flint works good too, as well as some forms of petrified wood, and other forms of very hard stone that can get a good, sharp edge.

Heck, I once lit a fire by getting a bit of gasoline from the fuel line on my vehcle, and ignited it with the muzzle blast from my handgun.

So I don't worry too awful much about getting a fire going. Knowledge and experience are good.

In my vehicle (or backpack, fanny pack, or pockets), I usually carry a bit of high energy something or other. It might be a candy bar or three, or a twelve pack of sodas behind the seat. Water is essential where I live, so I almost always carry something to drink. I also carry water purification tablets when I'm going far from civilization, and something to boil water in.

Other things I've carried include:

Mouse/rat traps. They're handier for catching dove, quail, and such than snares are. Just sprinkle a bit of something for them on the trigger, and it breaks their neck.

Light sticks. They're good for signaling at night.

A mirror. Great for signaling in the day time.

A roll of medical tape.

Paper towels.

Nylon twine or parachute cord.

Extras of any medications I may be taking.

For the most part I like to travel light. It's good to have a few essentials, no doubt, but I'm pretty sure I can survive what comes my way.

Daryl

Last edited by Daryl; March 31, 2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old March 31, 2009, 01:30 PM   #16
deanadell

Quote:
It is, quite literally, impossible to get lost where I hunt.
For most of us, that is true. There are fewer and fewer places in my area that aren;t criscrossed by roads and power lines, even in the more remote area.....but I still carry my "kit". The more likely scenario for anyof us is not getting "lost", but what happens if you are incapacitated and can;t walk back out to the truck? A sMall fire, space blanket, hand full of hard candy, etc, can make leaning up against a tree waiting to see how long it takes my wife to miss me enough to call the authorities a lot more pleasant....
Old March 31, 2009, 01:50 PM   #17
Gbro

I carry much of the fore mentioned items and,
Glutose gel. We can only keep it on the ambulance as long as the expiration date is good, but then they go in personal kits.
Dental putty! 8 days in camp with a lost filling, not me!
Mole skin for the blisters.
I prefer a water filter to other methods.
super glue for cuts and hang nails and more.
large garbage bag(s).
I always carry my magnesium fire starter, but will also carry a fire piston (short wood one) when I master the use of it. (Thanks juicyhog)
Old March 31, 2009, 02:13 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Lighter knot, fat lighter...

Gbro, I am gonna have to acquire the piston device and try it with lighter knot. Jist in case my butane cigg lighter fails...
http://www.survivalmonkey.com/Fat-lighter.htm
Here is a link to what we call lighter knot in the south... This stuff is super flammable and water PROOF. It is basically the pine wood sealed in sap that has turned hard and smells like turpentine. If you light the entire stump it will roll a thick black smoke that will likely aid in finding you but you gotta clear all potential fuel from around it as it burns super hot and would easily start a forest fire...
Brent
Old March 31, 2009, 02:19 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The more likely scenario for anyof us is not getting "lost", but what happens if you are incapacitated and can;t walk back out to the truck? A sMall fire, space blanket, hand full of hard candy, etc, can make leaning up against a tree waiting to see how long it takes my wife to miss me enough to call the authorities a lot more pleasant....
Yeah, but I also don't hunt alone 90% of the time, so the cell phone and/or radio covers any "incapacitation" issues.
Old March 31, 2009, 10:29 PM   #20
cornbush

Compression bandage, military type, I have seen some pretty nasty wounds, not from gunshots, all but one were self inflicted with a knife. If you bleed out nothing else in your kit will matter.
Old April 1, 2009, 12:50 AM   #21
jgcoastie

My kit is a little more extensive than most due to my location...

Map
Compass
GPS
Cell Phone
Maglite 3-D cell LED flashlight
Spare Batteries for all of the above
Water
Trauma/First Aid kit
Granola/Protein Bars
Toilet paper
2 pairs of socks
Leatherman
Lightweight Tarp
100' of para-cord
Spare ammo for all the guns I have with me
Gloves
Balaclava
"Windproof" lighter
Flint
Steel Wool
Break Free CLP (great for gun lube, but also great fire-starter in a pinch)
Bore snake and various gun cleaning tools
3-Knife game skinning set
knife sharpener
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old April 2, 2009, 12:10 PM   #22
wyobohunter

1- Duct tape (10-20')
2- Stainless steel bailing wire (5-10")
3- Lighter
4- Para-cord (15')
5- Water purification pills (enough for a couple gallons)
6- Whistle
7- Map & compass
8- GPS
9- Tiny little LED head lamp
10- Pocket knife
11- Cell phone, handheld marine radio, sat phone (depends on where I'm hunting).
12- Extra booze
13- Extra smokes or chew

(12 & 13 give me somethin to do while waiting for help I guess)
Old April 2, 2009, 03:59 PM   #23
bufordtjustice

I have been a student in the search for the perfect survival kit for a long time now. I have several different sized kits for everything from a pocket to a full sized rucksack. One thing that is consistent in every kit is a good whistle. I prefer the Fox 40 whistle in safety orange. They can be purchased for around $5. You can blow on a whistle all day long and keep from going hoarse. The noise carries for a long way as well.

First aid kits and the skill to use them are often neglected as well. I agree with what others said about always being near roads or other people for most of us but being able to use a pressure dressing and having it available for example can be a real life saver for you or others.
Old April 2, 2009, 11:05 PM   #24
Dave R

Only thing I'll add is mine includes a coupla plastic sandwich bags--for storing water. What are you going to put the water in while the purification tablets do their thing?

Lightest, most compact thing I could think of for storing a few cups of water.
Old April 3, 2009, 03:41 AM   #25
phil mcwilliam

My day pack for hunting in remote areas contains the following- Binoculars, Radio, GPS, Knife/Sharpener, Ammo, Plastic garbage bags, Compass, Map, Mini flash light,Bic lighter, Toilet paper in a plastic zip lock bag, Gatorade, Muesili bar/chocolate bar, Duct tape, Panadol/antacid ,leatherman tool, spare batteries. I wouldnt mind a satellite phone but the prices are a bit prohibitive.