The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 15, 2008, 10:04 AM   #1
rk219

Renting a Dillon Super Swage?

Is there a market for renting a Dillon Super Swage? If so what would be a fair price?
Old October 15, 2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Hard to imagine there would be, but stranger things have happened. Figure tool rental places usually charge something like 1/3 the retail cost of an inexpensive ($100-$500 range) tool to rent it for two weeks to a month, plus there is a security deposit. Part of that rent is to recover cost of the tool and part is to cover loss insurance. That's where renting out the Dillon tool becomes a problem. A regular tool rental business will have broad insurance coverage for all their tools, while getting it to cover theft or distruction of a single tool would be tougher.

Incidentally, the base casting of my Dillon swager cracked, but was replaced by Dillon at no charger. I don't think that lifetime warranty is intended to apply to professional use, which is what rental would be. Their professional equipment (1050's) have a one year warranty. You might ask what they think of the rental idea?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 16, 2008, 08:53 AM   #3
jmorris

You would get more takers (and make more money) if you performed the swaging service.
Old October 16, 2008, 08:42 PM   #4
rk219

What could you get for the swaging service? Also does it involve more than just swaging? I'm going to buy the super swager but won't use it more than a few times.
Old October 17, 2008, 07:10 AM   #5
Sport45

The RCBS swager that works with your press might be a better choice for something you will only use a few times. You might also consider reaming the primer pockets of the few you are going to do.

If you're dead set on getting the Dillon, I don't think resale is too bad if you want to get rid of it after you're done.

I don't think you are going to get rich with a swaging service unless you have neighbors in need. When you consider what it would cost to ship brass to you and back it would get to cost more than processed brass pretty quick.
Old October 17, 2008, 09:44 AM   #6
rk219

I might just re-sell it. I have a few thousand .223 cases to do but those cases ill last me a long time.
Old October 18, 2008, 07:41 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Keep the unit long enough to do them twice. Swaging pushes the brass out around the flash hole and firing flattens the case head against the bolt, pushing a portion of it back again. I often find they have to be done again after firing the first reload to have good primer insertion for the rest of their lives.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle