The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2006, 07:12 PM   #1
cochise

which offers more resistence lead or jsp?

I can't remember now. I guess I'm getting dumber in my old age.

I got into a discussion, and now I'm not sure. I said the lead offers more resistence because when I checked the demensions with my vineer calipeers the diameter of lead was one or two thousands of an inch wider.

It had to do with powder charge in grns. I back off a bit more with lead and work up.
Old October 14, 2006, 02:05 AM   #2
flutedchamber

The jacketed bullet should offer more resistance in the barrel due to the harder jacket.
Old October 14, 2006, 02:31 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Jacketed, definately

Even hard cast lead is "soft" compared to the copper alloy (guilding metal) used in jacketed bullets. Because lead is softer, the bullets are .001 or .002 larger than jacketed, so the rifling can get as good a "grip" on the lead as it gets on the jacketed bullet. Jacketed bullets (of all types) have more resistance going down the bore than lead ones. Jacketed bullets with long bearing surfaces have the most of all.
Old October 14, 2006, 05:29 AM   #4
cochise

Thanks for the input. I guess I was wrong again. The good thing, I've worked up some good loads going slow.