The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 29, 2000, 10:17 AM   #1
nedfig

I saw in the Cheaper Than Dirt catalog, they have #12 shot "dust". That has got to be some tiny, tiny stuff. Would it have enough velocity beyond 25 yards to break a clay?
Old August 29, 2000, 12:24 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I know of just 2 uses of #12 shot. First, used in 22s for rat control. Second, in specialty ammo for door breaching,where one does not want either penetration or ricochets.

Smallest I use is 8s, but then I'm an old fuddy duddy....
Old August 29, 2000, 03:06 PM   #3
K80Geoff

I have used it in the .22 rounds that Dave mentioned to knock tweety birds off of rafters in warehouses. It does the job without any damage to the roof (metal roofs only). But it is strictly short range stuff, for small targets. I understand the Europeans use it to shoot small birds in gardens. Apparently tweety is a delicacy in some countries.

Have never seen it used in 12 ga or for than matter anything 410 or larger. Don't see why it would be necessary.

Geoff Ross
Old August 30, 2000, 02:07 AM   #4
NJW

A buddy of mine got a bag a few years ago and he gave me a few handfulls to ply with. I loaded it in 12's, .410's and the Soeer plastic shot capsules for reloading. It worked OK but in the 12 & .410 shells I would rather use #9's since the #12 just looses it velocity too quickly and has a limited range. It did seem to work decent in the handgun shot shells but is usually mixed some in with larger shot to fill up the air space around it in the capsule before I loaded it.

NJW in AZ