The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 28, 2000, 03:58 AM   #1
jkeenan

I'm going to try to go shooting this weekend. I will bring both of the new shotguns--the Beretta and Benelli (the Beretta is a pre-ban, pistol grip, 20" bbl, the Benelli is post-ban, pistol grip and rifle sights).

Any suggestions for good practice loads?

Any handling suggestions/practice suggestions?-these are the first "combat" style shotguns I have shot--I will have to shoot at 25 yards at the range I will be at. I can also shoot as quickly as I want at the "pit" later.

After shooting, aside from cleaning out the barrel, what should I do to clean the guns? (I didn't get a manual with either). How much lube to use, or better to keep them relatively dry?

Two specific questions:

The Beretta rear sight does seem relatively flimsy--I have seen reference to that fact here before. Are there any decent aftermarket sights that would work?

I know that the Benelli barrel is very expensive--are replacement barrels for the Beretta as expensive??

Thanks
Old August 28, 2000, 05:30 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No experience with either, J, but my two cents anyway....

First, most folks use a cheap field load for practice, including me.But, one has to fire the chosen HD load for familiarity and to eliminate glitches.So,each practice session should consist of firing inexpensive loads AND some of the stuff you will be possibly staking your life on.

As for exercises, there's plenty of old threads here.

And cleaning is an essential, I'd go with the manufacturer's recommendation, but a minimum for me would be cleaning the bore and gas system,if any, every time it's shot,and a thorough detail scrub/lube at least once a year or after shooting under wet,nasty conditions..
Old August 28, 2000, 11:42 AM   #3
jthuang

You probably want to write to Benelli and Beretta to get a owner's manual. That way you can field strip and clean without any worries.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old August 28, 2000, 01:08 PM   #4
Robe

These guns have similar or even possibly the same actions in them which is based on a inertia type cycling action as opposed to the Rem 11-87 which is a gas operated system. If both of these guns are fairly new with a low number of shells fired thru them, I would suggest using some "high brass" or heavy duty loads to help break in the action and to make sure you have reliable cycling. I have known of several people to use these guns for the first time and use cheap low powered shells in them and experience cycling problems. This then gives them a bad experience with this type of shotgun and they never feel they can trust the gun to be reliable. Also your shooting technique can have an effect on the inertia based guns and their cycling.
The key is to practice your shooting style with a certain load choice and find a combination that works. Then stick with it and pactice this combination. The recoil springs can also be changed to a slightly lighter recoil spring from Wolff if you find a particular load you like but may experience cycling problems. Both the Benelli and Beretta are good defensive guns. I have two m1's and and my advise is based on my experience with these, but I'm sure the Benelli 1201 is very similar.
Old August 28, 2000, 01:25 PM   #5
ohen cepel

I have one of the Berreta's and it's a fine weapon.
I usually don't do much to clean it, just the basics.
The only bad thing about it is I find accessories a pain to find. Have never seen spare barrels for sale anywhere.
Take time to learn how it functions/feeds. I get confused if I don't shoot it often.

------------------
He who dares wins.
NRA Life Memeber
Old August 28, 2000, 07:10 PM   #6
GgnubrKihn

Beretta
Attn: Parts Department
17601 Beretta Dr
Accokeek, MD 20607

800-636-3420

If you go to Beretta site for Italy they show a parts site. Last time I was there I think a new barrel was somewhere between 200-300 dollars (not cheap). Have a Beretta 1201FP- love it.