The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 19, 2001, 04:46 PM   #1
Fred

Help!

Have a 60's vintage Colt Trooper. The other day at the range, front sight ramp flew off the barrel! Almost looks like it may have been glued onto the barrel. Anyone know how, short of taking it to a gunsmith, I can try to put the sight assemby back on myself? Any particular glue that might work? Thanks.
Old July 19, 2001, 08:04 PM   #2
johnwill

I can't believe it was glued, are you sure it wasn't soldered?
Old July 19, 2001, 09:31 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I also doubt that it was glued (at least from the factory) or that there is any glue that could be guaranteed to keep it from flying off again. I would recommend silver solder or screws, but I don't consider either a DIY job unless you have experience. A competent gunsmith should be able to put that sight on to stay.

Check with our host, George, who does that kind of work or www.cylinder-slide.com.

Jim
Old July 19, 2001, 10:12 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

By 60's Trooper, do you mean the pre-Mark 3, old model Trooper E/I frame? If so, the front sights WERE NOT glued on. They were either machined in one piece with the barrel, or later, brazed on. If your sight just flew off, I strongly suspect somebody shortened a barrel and re-attached the ramp.
To reattach it properly, it woulds need to be brazed in place. I recommend sending it in to Colt for this, or buying a new barrel from Gun Parts, and having it fitted.

No glue will hold for long. You could try soft solder sweating it in place, but it probably won't hold long.

In any case, something ain't kosher here, Colt sights don't fly off.
Old July 20, 2001, 06:39 AM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Fred, like the others I recommend brazing or silver soldering the sight back in place. There are a lot of people using Black Max locktite to put front sights on. It works well for shotguns and some rifles. Perhaps someone shortened the bbl and used something like that to replace the sight but as you've seen it won't last very long. Your local smith should be able to take care of it for you but if you don't have anyone near you feel free to e-mail me. George
Old July 20, 2001, 10:17 AM   #6
Fred

I also thought this sight/ramp should have been at least soldered on, but can find no trace of that. FWIW, this gun at one time had a couple of bullets stuck in the bore, and apparently a smith had to heat the barrel quite a bit to remove them.

Also, it is a pre Mark 3 model as someone asked. Thanks guys.
Old July 20, 2001, 08:12 PM   #7
Archie

I have had good results with soft-soldering front sights on revovlers. Make sure everything is clean, of course.
Never had any good results with soldering front sights on autopistol slides. That backandforth really beats them!

You might try superglue, but I wouldn't.

Probably a gunsmith is your best bet.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old July 20, 2001, 09:56 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Heat the barrel to remove stuck bullets? What did he do, melt them out?

Jim
Old July 21, 2001, 05:37 AM   #9
redneck5

one bullet stuck ,maybe,two bullets stuck at same time that barrel has to be bulged,
Old July 21, 2001, 02:41 PM   #10
Romulus

Redneck5 is right, it sounds like someone tried to shoot out the first stuck bullet with consequent bulging...unless they were manually inserted for some mysterious reason...

George, what temp for soft solder? What temp for silver solder? Is this something a that can be accomplished with a bernz-o-matic? Or are we talking oxy-acetylene?

Thanks
Old July 22, 2001, 06:41 AM   #11
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Romulus, depends on the soft solder. TIX melts at 275 with strength of 4000psi. Brownells Hi-Force 44 flows at 475 for 28,000psi; Brownells Hi Temp Hi Force flows at 650 for 38,000 psi and silver solder flows at 1205. I would use silver solder if I was replacing the sight. To keep from scaling the bore you can immerse everything in water except for the area you are actually heating. George
Old July 24, 2001, 10:36 AM   #12
Fred

Sorry for late reply - been out of town. Yes, as far as I can piece everything together, there were a few bullets stuck in the bore and the smith did try to melt them. Also, yes, the bore is slightly bulged, but hasn't affected accuracy a bit.

Think I will at least try the Loc-Tite. If it works, fine. If not, then I'll take it to a smith. Thanks guys.