The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 17, 2013, 05:27 PM   #1
Asfand

Accurate Rifle in 300 Win Mag sub $1500

Greetings All

I am looking for a sub $1500 rifle in caliber 300 Win Mag. I will be using this rifle on the range to shoot targets up to 500 yards.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old April 17, 2013, 06:02 PM   #2
math teacher

Unless you are talking serious competition, Savage or a Weatherby Vanguard should fill the bill with enough left over for a decent scope and mounts. I am sure you will get several other suggestions as well. Choice of a scope is a different thread.
Old April 17, 2013, 07:22 PM   #3
trg42wraglefragle

Tikka t3s are known for good accuracy.
Just let us know what the recoil is like in 300wm I'd love to know

But In seriousness the Savage line of rifles has some well priced heavy barrelled rifles that are usually very accurate.
Old April 19, 2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Buzzcook

Winchester model 70.

No need for .300winmag at 500yds. You might consider a lighter and less expensive round.
Old April 19, 2013, 02:21 PM   #5
AllenJ

Remington Sendero or XCR Tactical Long Range and Savage 10/110 FCP are considered accurate and are less than $1500. Why such a big cartridge for 500 yards? I know you have a 1000 yard range in south Sacramento, are you planning on competing there?
Old April 19, 2013, 04:07 PM   #6
lefteye

When I do my part and the weather conditions are good, my Browning A-Bolt SS .300 Win Mag will shoot sub MOA with 180 grain Nosler Partition Protected Point bullets (hand loads). I believe most modern bolt action rifles with a glass bedded action and carefully developed hand loads are capable of MOA accuracy. Some rifles may do as well with a particular factory loaded cartridge, but I have never attempted to find the best factory load for any rifle and I have never hunted with a factory load. (Please note I am not criticizing factory loads but I began learning reloading and shooting many years before I had an opportunity to hunt with a center fire rifle).