The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 28, 2012, 08:32 AM   #1
cld

Short barrel, Short Stock Rifle........is this one legal?

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I have a question about cutting the barrel and stock from my rifle.

I have a Remington 597 brand new 2012 model (paid full price for it) so its not worth selling it and loose money to buy a Ruger Charger, that been said I want to modify this rifle legally to a look a like Ruger Charger and keep it out of the SBR tax stamp fee.

Searching online how can I do this without paying the $200 tax fee and keep it legal and I found this info about cutting the barrel and total length of the rifle. 16" inch barrel and total rifle length of 26"

Wikipedia Short-barreled rifle (SBR) is a legal designation in the United States, referring to a shoulder-fired, rifled firearm with a barrel length of less than 16 inches (40.6 cm) or overall length of less than 26 inches (66.0 cm). In the United States, an SBR is an item regulated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) as an NFA firearm. In the absence of local laws prohibiting ownership, American civilians may own an SBR provided it is registered with the BATFE, and a $200 tax is paid prior to taking possession of or creating the firearm.

This is what I want to do if possible and ad a BiPod, is this legal? or do I need a folding stock?

Any help will be appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 597.jpg (46.6 KB, 41 views)
Old March 28, 2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Rob62

As long as the rifle has a barrel that is at least 16" (most people cut them 16.25" just for a small margin over minimum) *and* a minimum overall length of 26", you should be good to go.

I know of no state or federal laws that would prohibit this rifle. Adding any accessories such as a bipod to this set up should also pose no problem.

It would be very important to measure the barrel/bore length from the face to the bolt, with the bolt closed, to the muzzle.
Old March 28, 2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

You answered your own question.
If you make it legal it is legal.
Old March 28, 2012, 08:55 AM   #4
cld

I just want to be sure before I start cutting the stock, I already shortened the barrel to 16.25" measuring with the bolt closed, but I would like to cut the stock to make it look like a rugger charger.
Old March 29, 2012, 07:12 AM   #5
cld

Legal or Not?
Old March 29, 2012, 09:26 AM   #6
dogtown tom

You and two others have answered your own question......

....so I'll chime in for answer #4:

Rifles must have a barrel length of at least 16" and an overall length of 26".
If you have a folding or collapsable stock, ATF measures OAL with stock extended. (I believe one state measures with stock folded)

Measure 26" (or more) from the muzzle on a line parallel with the bore and mark it on the stock. Cut.

Thats as close as you'll get to the "looks" of a Ruger Charger.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old March 30, 2012, 07:39 PM   #7
cld

Well after talking to a detective he told me the same thing barrel no less than 16" and overall no less than 26" so I cut mine at overall length of 26.40" with a 16.25" barrel. now the problem is finding a nice bipod for this magazine, I think I will only use the 10 round magazine for now. and I still need to sand the stock a little. But it feels good. its longer than a charger for sure but still nice.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2 (6).jpg (167.6 KB, 26 views)
Old April 1, 2012, 11:36 PM   #8
cld

ATF Approved "Kinda" I took the rifle to my local gun show this weekend and the first table was from the ATF, I knew it was legal but I wanted to be sure. I shiwed the rifle to them and Its legal so Im good to go :-)

Last edited by cld; April 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old April 2, 2012, 10:02 AM   #9
dogtown tom

Quote:
cld ATF Approved "Kinda" I took the rifle to my local gun show this weekend and the first table was from the ATF, I knew it was legal but I wanted to be sure. I shiwed the rifle to them and Its legal so Im good to go :-)
The ATF folks at gunshows aren't Technical Branch and have nothing to do with determining if a firearm is "legal".

You might as well have shown it to a third grader for his okay.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 22, 2012, 06:36 PM   #10
tepin

.... and if they had determined it wasn't legal they would have cuffed-and-stuffed you on the spot.
Old April 23, 2012, 05:30 AM   #11
Powderman

Looks like you have just enough at the front to install a sling swivel attachment. And when you do that, you can clamp a Harris bipod on it. Just make sure you get one that's tall enough for you to use the magazine.