The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2009, 10:29 PM   #1
lakings

Inexpensive ammo

Does anybody know of a reliable source for inexpensive reloads? I recently purchased a S&W 45, and ammo is becoming quite costly.
Old January 19, 2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Reloading is your best bet. I don't think the drop in metals prices has fully worked its way through the supply line yet.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 19, 2009, 10:38 PM   #3
lakings

I don't want to reload myself. Instead, I would prefer to purchase already reloaded bullets from a reliable source. Any sources, websites, people you know?
Old January 19, 2009, 10:45 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

'Inexpensive' is a relative term. Buying on-line won't be cheap either. Hazmat fees and shipping costs will negate any lower prices. Loading for money requires a licence. Go talk to your local gun shop.
Metal prices have little to do with the cost of ammo when fuel prices are still high.
Old January 20, 2009, 12:01 AM   #5
vranasaurus

There is no haz mat fee on loaded ammunition only primers and powder when not loaded.

As to finding a source for reloaded ammunition. Reloaders can not legally sell their ammunition unless they are licensed as a manufacturer. Even if licensed I would not do it because the liability is huge.

Anyone who sells ammunition is licensed, or should be, as an ammunition manufacturer and you are still going to be paying for factory ammunition. There is really no such thing as reloads for sale. Either it is factory ammunition produced by a licensed manufacturer or it is someones reloads that can't be sold.

If you find some website with some "guy" selling ammunition that he turned out on his progressive press can you really be certain of the quality. More than likely the time required to produce the ammunition in such a manner, and the amount you would be charged for such time, would essentially negate any savings over factory ammunition.

Let's do a little math:

45 ACP

$25 for 1000 primers, If I use W231 at 5.5 gr per round that would be $15 for powder, 1000 230 gr FMJ $120, 1000 once fired cases for $55.

That is $223 dollars just in components. Now it will likely take me 6 hours of work to produce 1000 rounds.

At $20 per hour that adds an additional $120.

That is $335 dollars for 1000 rounds. You can get factory ammunition for that or within $20.

Now I would also have to add a bit to each round to cover the cost of liability insurance and to fund the purchase and up keep of equipment.

Rifle ammunition is even worse because it is more labor intensive.

Where we reloaders save money is that we put in the time and thus don't have to pay for anyone else's.

Sorry for the late night ramble
Old January 20, 2009, 12:13 AM   #6
RamSlammer

Tennessee Cartridge Co. sells "re-manufactured" ammunition at reasonable prices. Lots of indoor ranges sell their stuff. http://www.tncartridge.com
Old January 20, 2009, 12:17 AM   #7
lakings

Thanks for the info vranasaurus. I guess I'll just have to keep buying reloads at the range.
Old January 20, 2009, 12:33 AM   #8
BillCA

lakings,

It would really help to know what part of the country you are in before trying to recommend a commercial loader or supplier.

Check with companies like Ammunition to Go or Georgia Arms for general pricing.

It will be much more cost effective to order 500 to 1000 rounds at a time rather than pay the repeated shipping costs for 100-200 rounds. If you can't afford it, see if someone at your local range wants to split an order with you.

If you're on the west coast, Load-X in Santa Rosa makes a fair product, but the prices are not that much different from factory ammo.
Old January 20, 2009, 01:03 AM   #9
vranasaurus

I think you are talking about remanufactured ammunition and not reloaded. Reloading is a term that is used to describe those of us who do it as a hobby while remanufacturing is when an ammo manufacturer reuses brass and sells the ammo.

What kind of ammunition are you buying at your range?

BTW, at ammunitiontogo.com you can get 1000 rounds of either winchester or remington 230 gr FMJ for around $375.
Old January 20, 2009, 09:03 AM   #10
Jkwas

I did the math and even paying the hazmat fee, I figure that I will recoup the cost of loading equipment and supplies at about 700 rounds of .38spl. That's at about $30/100 rnds. Afterwards it comes out to around $12/100. Those figures include hazmat and shipping charges. It's definately a long term investment.
Old January 20, 2009, 09:29 AM   #11
Sevens

Try these guys:
http://www.mastercast.net/amo.htm

Two options with them... reloads, or discounted reloads when you exchange brass. Might be an option for you.
Old January 20, 2009, 10:04 AM   #12
jcrim007

cabelas sells reloads. i've never used them, but i see that the reviews on their site are good...
Old January 20, 2009, 11:34 AM   #13
kenjs1

gun shows might be a good place to look for you. You may look into Wisconsincartridge.com too

Tags
ammo , bullets , reloads