The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 19, 2008, 08:40 AM   #1
gunrunnera1

questions on .44 special reloading

Hi all,

I have a Rossi 3" model 720 5 shot .44 S&W special.
I bought this revolver to keep in the car so if it were stolen i wouldn't be loosing much.
Well I found I like this revolver and carried it on a deer hunt to use for rattle snake's. I could not find shot cartridges for it and the only ammo i could find was 31.50 for 20 rounds.

I want to reload some shot cartridges, practice ammo, self defense ammo and a round i could use for deer at under 25 yds.

I have only loaded .45 acp on my RCBS press.

is there a special die to load shot cartridges the ones with the blue plastic tips?

Can i use standard cases and seal the end with something?

Any suggestions on bullet weight's for practice, self defense and hunting?

All info or comments welcome

Thanks,
Old October 19, 2008, 11:10 AM   #2
RidgwayCO

The Rossi 720 was the first (of many) .44 Special revolvers I've purchased over the years. While it's the least expensive in my collection, it's still very well built. Mine has the adjustable sights and fluted cylinder, weighing all of 30 oz (compared to the S&W 696-1 at 36 oz).

Commercial ammo for the .44 Special is usually pathetic, averaging 230 ft-lbs out of my 3" 720. In other words, the same as a "hotted-up" .380 Auto... That's why most serious .44 Special shooters are also reloaders. Through handloading, you can load this fine old round up to its true potential, while staying within (or marginally above) SAAMI pressure standards.

In the relatively light-weight 720, I prefer lead bullets on the lighter end of the spectrum. Anything 200 grains or less can be pushed to respectable speeds at normal pressures, while not being abusive to my age-challenged joints. I usually look for a velocity good for between 300 and 350 ft-lbs of energy (depending on the exact bullet weight).

Shotshells for the .44 Special are easy to make. Use the blue CCI capsules and fill them as full as possible with lead shot (I like #12 shot, as the patterns are so dense that no snake will escape at a range of 10 feet or less). The Speer manuals have specific loading data for their shotshells, just remember that faster is not better when it comes to shotshells. Too much velocity and the patterns will open up too fast. And be careful when crimping them. Using your regular .44 Special dies with a light roll crimp works fine, but too much crimp can result in you breaking the shot cup, with the little lead pellets then spilling all over your reloading bench (don't ask how I know this...).

You'll read a lot of shooters poo-pooing the Rossi 720 on the internet, most of whom have never shot it (or even seen one). In my mind, it's the best revolver Rossi has ever made, very reliable, and will easily outlast me and my children. And the uses you mention (truck gun and woods companion) are perfect.

Last edited by RidgwayCO; October 19, 2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old October 19, 2008, 02:00 PM   #3
gunrunnera1

Thanks for the info. I allso never thought much of Rossi. Saw this one in a pawn shop. Looked like a S&W to my supprise it wasn't. Very well made revolver. Shoots good too. Thanks again.
Old October 19, 2008, 03:30 PM   #4
RidgwayCO

Just re-read your post, and noticed your request for a hunting load.

I'm in the process of working up some loads in .44 Special for hunting mule deer and/or elk here in Colorado. It's a little more complicated than it has to be, because Colorado requires 550 ft-lbs (minimum) at 50 yards out of a handgun (4" barrel minimum). I think this is designed to rule out the .357 Magnum in most cases, but maybe not.

Anyway, to meet CO's requirements, I plan on using either a Freedom Arms 1997 with a 5.5" barrel, or a S&W 624 with a 6.5" barrel. These can be loaded hot with heavier bullets (but still less than 20,000 psi) according to Brian Pearce. I really like the Leadheads 255gr Keith bullet, but the Cast Performance Bullet 255gr WFNPB (LBT) bullet might be even better. Only testing will tell. I need to push them to at least 1050 fps in order to be legal in CO. Powders that look promising according to QuickLOAD are VihtaVuori N110, Accurate #9, and Alliant 2400. QuickLOAD indicates that VihtaVuori N105 might be the best choice, but I've got to find some first...

Just for grins, QuickLOAD computes that the classic Keith load of 17.5gr of 2400 under his 255gr bullet will give a little over 1200 fps out of a 4" barrel (as advertised). Unfortunately, the computed pressure is over 33,000 psi (only 3,000 psi less than SAAMI's limit for the .44 Magnum)!!

Hope this rambling reply helps.