The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 16, 2008, 02:48 PM   #1
TFL4L

Imperial Sizing Wax use?

For those that use Imperial Sizing Wax on your cases, what is your preferred method of applying?

Is Imperial safe for lubing the inside of the mouth (i.e. non-reactive to powder)? If so, with what method--Q-tip?

These will be on cases that have been ultrasonic-cleaned, whic are sometimes "overly" clean versus tumbled cases which still have some residual carbon "lubricating properties".
Old October 16, 2008, 03:00 PM   #2
Inspector3711

A: I apply a very thin layer with my fingers and can coat 3-4 shells before dipping my fingers in the tin. Too much lube creates hydraulic pressure between the case and the die and you'll get dents in your brass.

B: Don't use Imperial inside the case as it will introduce moisture to the powder, in fact don't need to use it beyond the bottom of the shoulder, lube is not needed on the exterior of the shell above that point.

C: I use graphite powder from the hardware store inside the neck. I paid $4 for two tubes of it and can say it will last for well over 1,000 rounds. I apply it with a worn out .22 cleaning brush and can lube 3-4 case necks before dipping the brush in graphite. It works flawlessly. A tip, air rifle pellet tins work great for storing and using the graphite. I'm on a budget and graphite is the best fit for me.
Old October 16, 2008, 03:02 PM   #3
Daryl

I apply it by lightly rubbing my index finger across the wax, and then rubbing it on the case. The stuff goes a LONG ways. Far enough that I'd venture to say that a tub will last me several years (in fact, it already has, and there's a lot of it left).

And I do a lot of handloading.

I've used it in the case mouths, but always wipe it out.

Daryl
Old October 16, 2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Shoney

I prefer to lightly touch the shoulder and mouth of a clean case simultaneously to the wax, then swirl it between my index finger and thumb of my left hand. Often, there is enough residual wax on my fingers to lube a second or third case.

If I want to lube inside the mouth, depending on the cartridge being loaded, I will apply the mouth of the case of my index finger, pressing down and twisting, getting a very small amount of wax on the inside tip of the case. I do this immediately after lubing the outside of the case, so the amount of wax on my finger is minimal. Inspection of the case after resizing shows that the wax has never extended more than 80% of the way down the neck, and usually only 1/2 way. I do not wipe it out

Since it is all wax, it is non-reactive with powder. In over 15 years of using it for inside lubrication, I have seen no detrimental effects, even on ammo that is over 12 years old.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old October 17, 2008, 12:52 AM   #5
Inspector3711

I'll stick with the dry lubricants myself. Prefer not to be that careful.. A quick plunge of the brush and I'm done.
Old October 17, 2008, 01:38 AM   #6
Hey_Allen

For me, I tend to just rub a fingertip on the wax, then twirl the case between that finger and the thumb of that hand.
Like the others, I often have enough for a few cases on my finger, the wax goes a LONG way!

I tried just rubbing a little off of the tip of my finger into the case mouth, but I honestly can't see that it makes much of a difference, though I am not an expert at this yet.
I suspect I won't bother with it inside the mouth, as my new die has a carbide neck sizing ball, so no need.