The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 15, 2008, 02:58 PM   #1
daywalker627

Bullet grains question

Hi, as I have stated in some of my other posts, I am new to reloading and have not loaded my first round as of yet. I have been on the forum for a few nights now reading posts and threads on any and all info for the 270 which is a remington 700. As far as ADL or BDL, i e-maild remington with all info and they said it was a plain 700 (however, i have yet to find info on just a 700). I know the question Im about to ask probably is on here and I may have overlooked it through my searches but here it goes,

First: I would like to say that I am not looking for a particular bullet as I know it depends on what a gun likes and I will have to try many to get the golden one.

My question has to do with grains. When it comes to this, is grains mostly important for the distance, being lighter or heavier, or is it for the lethality of it? I mean, does one choose the grain for distant shooting or how quickly it can kill the (in my case whitetail) deer?

I know that a great shot placement, ie: vitals, will kill anything that it penetrates. Maybe I am reading too much. But for instance, I buy from walmart Winchester powerpoints 150 grain. So far the 2 deer I got in 2007 with this ammo, the entrance and exit wounds were quite remarkable could be compared to a 50 cal. black powder wound. The wounds however I believe were a bit much and took some of the good meat. It entered just behind the shoulder and came out between the chest.

Would a lower grain bullet yeild the same result? Most I have read seems to be hanging around the 130 grain mark.

I have tons to learn, and so far have the equipment to load, however, before I load my first round, I just want and need a ton more info. I just do not want to load a round and come out the same as factory. I mean, I can buy a winchester pp at walmart for 15.00 box of 20 for that matter.

I also would like to know about sptzer, spiral, soft points, hollow points, balistic tip etc. I guess the question would be is it the mushrooming effect that one looks for when picking out the bullet? I have a friend that only chooses factory ammo (he does not reload) that mushrooms out. He lives both by the winchester pp and the remington core-lokt. I have read and seen hundreds of bullets, nosslers, hornady and so forth. Guess one would have to do a ballistic gel test to find the one that does most lethal damage yet does not take away from the what your after in the first place, the meal.

As you can see, I am new to all of this. I have been hunting for years, however, I really never took the time to think about the overall picture of the ammo. After taking the deer in 2007, with the type of wound it left in the deer, I have been thinking more and more into the ammunition and stuff. That is when I decided I would like to get into reloading and get as much info as I can on bullets, cases, powders, primers and everything that goes into it.

I am sorry if none of this makes sense. I have a problem expressing what it is that I need and have had this problem throughout my life. Please be patient with me.

Thanks for all the help.
Old October 15, 2008, 06:17 PM   #2
tom234

Perhaps this article will help answer your question:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/bullet.htm
Old October 15, 2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Gbro

I have reloaded for many years and I am still a student at it.
I have reloaded .270 for over 30 years and have loaded everything from gas checked cast to about everything available. After all those years my conclusion was the .270 is reloader challenged.
That isn't what you were looking for but I had to interject it anyway. I have had the most satisfaction from ballistic tip bullets, however I do not buy nozler bullets any more.
My favorite bullet now is the Hornady SST (super shock tip). I use them in several different caliber's.
As for damage to meat, well that is a good thing. It is a drawback of a good bullet/velocity. You didn't see as much destruction from the old 30-30's and such as they were slower and you will see the same at long range with the .270's and such.

Start pumping out some cartridges with a starting point 2-4 100fps slower than the max and see what happens.

Then when you get to something you like buy a box of taylor made and compare. That is where the satisfaction sits for me.

As a side note, I don't use cartridge guns much any more, as all my hunting anymore is Black Powder.
Old October 15, 2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I had a .270 as my deer-getter, many years ago. I loaded the 130-grain Rem Bronze Point bullets. Worked fine. The rifle was some sort of $75 J.C. Higgins, maybe a 22" barrel. Back then, Hodgdon was just getting started, selling surplus 4831 rather cheaply. My load was a full case of powder, unweighed, and just seat the bullet. That still was not max pressure. I generally got one MOA for five-shot groups, but my eyes were a lot younger. I used a Weaver K4...
Old October 16, 2008, 12:34 PM   #5
daywalker627

Tom, thank you so much for that web site. I am reading it and it really does help me out. Once again thank you for the site.