The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2008, 10:12 PM   #1
impactco

Just fired 7.62x54r cases, cool to the touch, why?

I have been loading 7.62x54r with 43g of Varget for use in my M44. The light load is quite accurate and has reduced recoil plus my brass will be good for many loadings. I have noticed that just fired cases are completely cool to the touch when ejected unlike every other caliber I have ever shot. How is this possible?
Old October 14, 2008, 09:46 AM   #2
triggerhappy2006

I noticed the same thing i thought maybe it was due to a low powder charge or a unique type of powder
Old October 14, 2008, 10:00 AM   #3
impactco

You would think that with 43g of Varget that some of the heat generated would be retained in the brass. I am guessing that the heat is immediately transferred into the steel of the chamber.
Old October 14, 2008, 10:10 AM   #4
Creature

Quote:
that some of the heat generated would be retained in the brass.
Could it be that brass is a good conductor and quickly passes from one temperature state to another (i.e. rapidly heats/cools to the ambient temperature which surrounds it)? I could be wrong though.
Old October 14, 2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Sport45

Are the other rifles you shoot autoloaders?

The brass is always much cooler when taken from a bolt action rifle. The chamber is a very good heat sink and the heat dissapates from the brass quickly. Catch a piece of .22lr brass as it flies from an autoloader and compare it's temperature to that of a piece of brass ejected from a rimfire bolt action rifle and you'll see what I mean.
Old October 14, 2008, 10:37 AM   #6
impactco

Thanks for that explanation. My Mosins are the only bolt guns that I own so I have nothing to compare to.