The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2008, 02:46 PM   #1
Cosmoline

Bullet Casting--The Simple Pot or Furnace?

I'm gearing up to start making my own cast bullets and I'm wondering if I should opt for the simple pot and burner or go with one of the more expensive furnaces. It's going to be a small-scale operation and likely be conducted away from any easy outlets, so a propane burner seems better. What are the drawbacks to that setup, if any? Am I being penny wise and pound foolish?
Old October 13, 2008, 02:53 PM   #2
rwilson452

a bottom pour arrangement is much better and easier for a beginner. a ladle and pot is much more difficult.
Old October 13, 2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Jimlakeside

I am not sure what you are asking. Do you want a pot to melt wheel weights into ingots or do you already have clean lead that you want to put in a mold and cast?

It is easier to use something like a turkey fryer to melt the lead and put in ingots than a furnace. It's a lot faster and doesn't fill your bottom pour spout with crud.

For casting, Lee's 20lb bottom pour pot (about $60.00) works really well for me. I have had no problems with it so far and have casted 1000s of bullets. You can always get an expensive furnace later.

For more information try this site: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

Good luck, I find it to be a lot of fun.
Old October 13, 2008, 04:31 PM   #4
Hawg

A bottom pour is best but I started out with a bean can on my moms stove(I don't recommend it tho).
Old October 13, 2008, 04:35 PM   #5
LHB1

Maintaining lead alloy melted temperature, filling the mould, and obtaining consistently good cast lead bullets is much easier with a temperature controlled, bottom pour furnace. Melting scrap lead/wheelweights and pouring clean lead ingots can be done with furnace or simple pot and ladle.
Old October 13, 2008, 05:55 PM   #6
Cosmoline

I think I see the difference now. Thanks!