The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 15, 2008, 09:57 AM   #1
Desert01

Levang Linear Compensator?

Quote:
Description
Designed to reduce a common problem with compensators, too much noise directed toward the shooter. Reduces muzzle jump without hurting your ears.
I recently picked one of these up on a whim and am looking to mounti it on a post ban (welded) upper. I can find almost no data on the Levang even on the net. I did find this little gem though:

In another forum:
Quote:
This compensator throws the blast forward instead of to the sides or rear. This makes it much nicer on the shooter & his buddies. Its only available for pre-bans however as its external diameter is 22mm (making it a de-facto grenade launcher).

Is this going to make my plan into a nice paper weight?
Old April 15, 2008, 10:15 AM   #2
lon371

Not sure how it will change the muzzle jump and cant do anything for the recoil. Since the blast is all directed forward it would push the gun rearward as normal. It has no ports on top so It would not be pushing the barrel down.

I am not sure, but for legal and CYA purpose. I think you would be well served to do some digging. I believe the laws state and change to the report(noise) or something like that.
Old April 15, 2008, 01:18 PM   #3
sholling

These have always struck me as completely useless as a compensator. However Mini-14s benefit from having the barrel shortened and some kind of weight hung on the end of the barrel to dampen harmonics. I suspect that this is the real purpose of this "compensator". To add enough length to keep the barrel over 16" and to act as weight to deaden the barrel. I can't think of any reason to hang one on an AR.
Old April 15, 2008, 04:59 PM   #4
totalloser

THEY ARE FANTASTIC!!! I have one on my SU 16, and thought it wouldn't make much difference as I assumed the muzzle jump was mostly from the heavy op rod cycling above the barrel.

NOT SO! It moves about 3 to 5 moa between shots now! Before, it jumped so much, my target would be out of my scope's sight picture between shots. Super can killing modification!

It directs all the noise forward, cuts down on recoil very noticeably, cuts dramatically on dust firing prone, protects my spotter, I can't say enough about it. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MINE. It will NOT be a paperweight. I don't entirely understand how they work, as the gasses are still directed forward, but the way I (sort of) understand it, is that the gasses are dispersed into 7 ports behind the bullet, thus cutting down on their velocity. Hence the velocity of the gas is less as it leaves the compensator.

The skinny of it is that on my SU it works FAR beyond my expectations. I would absolutely put one on my mini except they aren't available in stainless. The finish might look a little funny on a blued rifle, too, as it is phosphate looking, like an AR barrel.

That "grenade launcher" thing is a sack of it. Mine is 23.37mm in diameter, and doesn't have the necessary ribs. I heard that a while back and went looking to find out if it was illegal. I didn't get a response from the manufacturer, but got a card from my local sheriffs dept. to vouch that I had checked it out. The deputy I spoke to said I probably didn't need to worry (a deputy is not a lawyer).