The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 23, 2001, 03:17 PM   #1
snakedan

Used Browning Abolt in .300 Win. Mag - Should I get it?

I came across a nice Blue Browning Abolt in .300 Win. Mag today at a local gun store. It had the "fancy" stock with rosewood tips. It did not have the engraving of the Medallions. I presume it to be an older gun. It had the 1/4 turn sling swivels. The gun certainly seems to be worth about the asking price of $395.00 including tax.

Anyone have experience with Abolts? I had a .30-06 BAR once, but that is the extent of my Browning experience with rifles. Thanks.
Old July 23, 2001, 03:53 PM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Sounds like a deal - - -

If I were in the market for such a rifle, I'd grab it up!

Friend showed me his new .308 A-bolt las Friday. It had a composition stock and a BOSS, and he thought he'd made a good buy at $600.

In general, the A-bolt has a good reputation for accuracy. It is well made, and VERY quick, largely due to the 60-degree bolt lift.

Best,
Johnny
Old July 23, 2001, 05:07 PM   #3
Will Kwan

The price seems to be really good. However, unless the wood used by Browning has improved considerably you might run into some problems. I would see if the rifle could be dismantled to look underneath the barrel and recoil lugs. At the least check the wood for cracks inside the magazine well.

My Browning BBR (before the A bolt) stock suffered from dry rot and cracking in the stock due to shrinkage. Apparently this was a common problem for Brownings. The 60-degree lift is a nice feature especially with a low scope.

Will
Old July 23, 2001, 10:46 PM   #4
MiniZ

Sounds like a good deal, if that is what you are looking for.
I would buy it without hesitation.

Zane
Old July 23, 2001, 11:30 PM   #5
rugerfreak

If you get it try several different loads--- I had a Composite Stalker .270 ---that with 130gn loads- that would get patterns not groups----with Hornady Custom 140 gn loads it would put a 3-shot group in the same hole---all the time--every time---didn't matter if the rifle was clean or not---it would always put em in the same hole.