The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 10, 2012, 03:41 PM   #1
YankeeIronSights

Kahr CM9 - Is it the best 9mm for CC purposes?

I am saving my lunch money to buy a 9mm semiautomatic pistol for concealed carry purposes. I have researched many compact and subcompact pistols and have narrowed my selection to these models. Price is not a big concern because personal safety is priceless. Capacity is not an issue because I always carry a spare magazine.

From best to worse:

Kahr PM9 or CM9- Simple design, very light, reliable, no safety features, no magazine disconnect, accurate, good sights, good trigger, easy to conceal.

Glock 26 - a bit heavier, bulkier, but shares the rest of the attributes mentioned before for the Kahr CM9.

Kel Tec PF9 - Same as Kahr but has mixed reviews regarding ejector problems and FTF/FTE issues.

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated...
Old November 10, 2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Officer's Match

If slim factor is a must, grab a PM/CM nine and don't look back.
Old November 10, 2012, 04:57 PM   #3
JFootin

I have a CM9 and it's a great gun. Smooth trigger. Eats anything. Thin. Comfortable to carry. Easy to conceal. Dependable. Built like a tank. Definitely the right choice!
Old November 10, 2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Redneckrepairs

I dont have a cm , but i do have 2 pm9s , and neither is going anywhere ( except in pockets, ect.. ) lol
Old November 10, 2012, 05:29 PM   #5
loose_holster_dan

by no means the best, but definitely a viable option. i much prefer the walther pps.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old November 10, 2012, 05:30 PM   #6
LockedBreech

I shot a Kahr CW9 (not CM) and honestly I wasn't blown away. The magazine seemed to be pretty chintzy in quality and the build quality of the gun was not especially great. That said, it did fire without error.

Maybe I just got a well-worn range model, but I'd be interested in comparing the C line to the P line.

The G26/27 I have plenty of time with, and it's a very high quality pistol, just a bit bulky.

As for the PF9, I'm not especially comfortable with Kel-Tec. Maybe the Ruger LC9, but even it has had troubling extractor issues.

Of what you listed I like the G26 best.
Old November 10, 2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Mrgunsngear

Do you want to IWB carry or pocket carry?
Old November 10, 2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Sparks1957

It is if that is what you want.

I have a CW9 and though it has been replaced as my usual carry gun, it has been nothing but reliable. I've heard lots of good stuff about the CM9.

I decided I really wanted a DAO hammer-fired gun with a bit more capacity, so I went for a Kel-Tec P-11. I don't pocket-carry, so it works really well for me IWB.
Old November 10, 2012, 05:33 PM   #9
vyse.04

I'd go with the Kahr if you want a single stack, or Glock if you don't mind the extra width. I own two Kahrs, and I have yet to find a DA trigger that I like more than them.
Old November 10, 2012, 05:49 PM   #10
YankeeIronSights

I forgot to mention I would carry the pistol in a pocket, ankle or inside the waist holster, depending on the type of clothes I am wearing at any given time.
Old November 10, 2012, 05:59 PM   #11
BGutzman

Try a Sig P290, its tiny and accurate and its a SIG so its hard to go wrong.
Old November 10, 2012, 07:18 PM   #12
saltydog452

Kinda pricey, but the Robaugh (sp) pocket 9mm might be more suitable. Depends on your pocket.
Old November 10, 2012, 10:59 PM   #13
Joe_Pike

Bad thing about Rohrbaugh, other than the price and waiting list, is that they don't recommend shooting them much. Now, that may not bother some, but some like to shoot their carry guns quite a bit. They are neat little guns, though. I had a chance to fondle one a while back. It was used but unfired and sold for $1,299 within a couple of days of going on the shelf.
Old November 10, 2012, 11:01 PM   #14
chaim

I was recently looking for a small 9mm which could fit in a pocket and which would totally disappear in a tuckable IWB. After a lot of research I found several guns which would be good for the role, but decided I wanted a CM9 and searched for a local gunshop that had one.

When I found a shop that had one, I went there specifically to get the CM9. At the store, I checked out several small 9mm's back to back (the CM9, LC9, P290, PF-9, and Nano). After checking them out back to back, I ended up going home, not with the CM9, but with the SIG P290.

It is heavier than the CM9 so it isn't quite as good as a pocket gun, but then any 9mm won't disappear like a small .380 will. It does work with a good holster, and it completely disappears with a good IWB holster. I love the P290's night sights, the extra weight makes it handle recoil quite well for a small gun, and so far it has been 100% reliable with any ammo I've put through it. Due to the steel frame J-frame comparable weight (near the limit for pocket carry), I decided to also pick up the Pf-9 or the CM9 for times I wanted something sized between my P290 and my LCP. Once again, upon checking out all the options side by side and dry firing them, I went home with something else (the Pf-9), and if I do eventually get a Kahr it won't be one of the pocket 9's (probably a K9 or K40).

So, while the PM9 and CM9 are terrific guns, I'm not sure I agree that they are the best 9mm. They are darned good guns (my best friend had an MK9 which he traded on a PM9 and they were both great guns), but there are quite a few terrific guns in this niche any one of which could be a good choice.
Old November 10, 2012, 11:30 PM   #15
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
I forgot to mention I would carry the pistol in a pocket, ankle or inside the waist holster, depending on the type of clothes I am wearing at any given time.

Then yes, the CM9's the way to go.

I did a review here a few weeks ago (Here's the review link). It's a great gun. Check out the review for some detailed info.
Old November 11, 2012, 04:16 AM   #16
RBid

While I don't own one, I handle the CW9 on a daily basis at work, have fired them, and have gotten feedback from buyers. I have owned the PF-9 and the LC9. I've handled the Shield, etc.

PF9 is garbage. Way too many owners (including me) experience FTEs. LC9 trigger is generally reviled, and I personally hated it. The LC9 is very reliable, so there's a plus.

The CW9 is my favorite single stack. I would carry that, if I carried a single.
Old November 11, 2012, 06:43 AM   #17
Kreyzhorse

You really need to check out te Walther PPS. To me, it is the perfect 9mm concealed carry gun.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:22 AM   #18
Mrgunsngear

I'm a fan of the PPS as well--it's an excellent gun but I think it prints too much in most clothing for pocket carry. But that's going to vary person to person depending on body type and clothing...
Old November 11, 2012, 08:24 AM   #19
spodwo

If the CM9 is anything like my PM9 - then it is the way to go. I looked long and hard at a small 9 and the Ruger and PF9 small 9mms [didn't like them at all]. The Ruger PPS looks intriguing.

I love my PM9. I got the version that has the manual safety. EXCELLENT small 9 and 100% reliable.
Old November 11, 2012, 04:56 PM   #20
johnwilliamson062

ll agree, for single stack Kahr wins my vote.
I carri double though. Glock, but lots of good options out there.
Old November 12, 2012, 09:48 PM   #21
KyJim

I don't know if the CM9 is the best for concealed carry but it is very good and satisfied my need for a pocket/compact single stack 9mm that is reliable and is shootable. It is also reasonably priced which is always nice
Old November 12, 2012, 10:17 PM   #22
Rembrandt

I really liked the Kimber Solo CDP but no one had them, tried for nearly two years and gave up.....got a Boberg SR9-S instead and absolutely thrilled with it.
Old November 12, 2012, 10:22 PM   #23
franco45

Quote:
I don't know if the CM9 is the best for concealed carry but it is very good and satisfied my need for a pocket/compact single stack 9mm that is reliable and is shootable. It is also reasonably priced which is always nice
+1
Old November 13, 2012, 02:59 AM   #24
TheSpoon

If you like the Kahrs, give the Bersa BP9CC a fair shake. A single-stack 9 less than an inch wide with a full hand grip that's still easily concealable under a thin tshirt.
Old November 13, 2012, 07:06 AM   #25
dean1818

If you want thin

You should consider the M&P shield

I had a CM9, and tried to fall in love with it, but the long trigger and
Reset made double taps (something important for a small caliber like a 9, very tough to do)

I also was honest with myself on how fast I could draw the CM9 from a
Pocket. (look up Tuller drill)

I wouldnt consider any auto 9 to be a viable fast pull from a pocket

A small revolver is so much better in that role. (LCR size)

I now exclusively carry IWB, and the thin of the Shield makes it
Very comfortable, and a quick draw from IWB

Buying American made, wherever I still can