The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Racingsnake

Dillon SD - Thinking of moving to a progressive after 20 years of loading

Hi Guys,

I need some advice before switching to a progressive.

I'm considering the Dillon Square Deal because I only load 38 special.

The one thing holding me back however is the fear of a squib load from a 'no charge' I may not detect. I'm so accustomed to doing visual checks before seating bullets -am I being over concerned?

Thanks, Racingsnake
Old January 29, 2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Lots of guys mount lights on these things to better see down into the case to check the powder charge. That said, because the charge is dispensed automatically, it's hare to get a squib except or a double in a round at the powder station unless it's during some kind of jam. At that point you want to take the case in that position out and set it aside for separate processing, then continue with the rest.

If it still concerns you, then you also have the option to move to a basic 650, which has a fifth station for a Dillon powder check die.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 29, 2012, 06:11 PM   #3
g.willikers

With a good light source above the press, you will be able to easily see if powder is in the case before adding the bullet.
I have a small light mounted on my SD press that shines directly down the case, at the third die, where the bullet is put in the case.
To be able to use a powder check alarm, though, would require a press with an extra die position.
But I trust my eyes more than a device.
Old January 29, 2012, 06:29 PM   #4
salvadore

Anecdotally, I have had my SD since before they were SD Bs loaded thousands of rounds, .44 spec., .45 auto, and.38 spec. I don't recall either a double charge or no charge load. Mine has been if not trouble free, pretty close and Dillon has a great warranty.
Old January 29, 2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Vance

I've been loading 357 mag with a SD B with no problems
Old January 29, 2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Steviewonder1

I have three sets of twin flourescent 2x4 ft lights in the drop ceiling in my loading room which is off premise from my home. I can easily see everything in the bullets from powder to bullet and last primer. Yes, lights do make a good addition to safe reloading of bullets. I have a set of Twin Dillon SDB's as I only also reload only Pistol Bullets.
Old January 29, 2012, 10:51 PM   #7
jfrey

I found a small light with a flex arm and clip on the end. I clipped it on the primer tube and flexed it to see right down into the cases at station 3. Works like a charm. Got the light at TSC. The SDB is a great press and you won't be sorry you got it. I have a matched pair, one for 9mm and one for .45.
Old January 30, 2012, 08:08 AM   #8
LAH

It's a simple thing to leave the locator pin out of station 3 & check the case before seating the bullet. I do this with mine.

Old January 30, 2012, 09:32 AM   #9
Racingsnake

Thank you guys