The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 19, 2011, 11:48 PM   #1
Dino.

Radom VIS: Manual Safety?

Though there are no obvious controls on the VIS that offer a manual safety, I noticed that when the hammer on my VIS is at a 1/2 cock, it locks the trigger and acts as a manual safety (much like my 1892 Winchester replica).

Though nothing I've ever read about the VIS suggests that there is a manual safety, the design makes sense with knowing that this pistol was originally designed for use by Poland Calvary.

At a 1/2 cock, the hammer is relatively easy to bring into a full cocked position with the thumb or maybe down the pants leg by a solder in the Calvary.
It may even be designed that way to pass some sort of drop test. I don't know.

Can anyone confirm this as the intent of this design?
Old November 20, 2011, 05:47 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm not going downstairs to dig it out of the safe right now, but I don't recall the trigger being locked on my VIS when the hammer is at half cock.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 20, 2011, 05:57 AM   #3
radom

Been a bit but I dont recall that too. Should work just like a colt 1911 where you hold hammer with the thumb and then pull trigger to get it off half cock. But then every one I have had used a big manual saftey lever that worked pretty much like a 1911 too.
Old November 20, 2011, 06:07 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

"But then every one I have had used a big manual saftey lever that worked pretty much like a 1911 too."

Say what?

As far as I know, the Radom P35 never came with a thumb safety. What appeared to be a safety on the older guns was, in fact, a take down lever.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 20, 2011, 11:42 AM   #5
amd6547

Correct...the Radom never had a manual safety.
One of the first self defense pistols I ever had was a Radom. I kept it chamber empty.
Old November 20, 2011, 11:51 AM   #6
Dino.

Mike's right, it's a take down latch ... not a safety.
With the exception of the slide release, the controls on the Radom and 1911 are completely different.

Mike, I'd urge you to check your Radom VIS for this "safety".
I say "half cocked", but it's actually about 1/4 cock.
Just far enough to lock the hammer back away from the firing pin.
It makes perfect sense to me, as it would allow one to safely carry the Radom with one in the chamber.

Kinda odd that I've never read anything about this, but check it out.
Old November 20, 2011, 01:08 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Radom, like JMB's original pistol design, has a half cock as its only manual safety. It does "lock the trigger" in the sense that the trigger cannot be pulled while the sear is in the half cock notch.

The manual safety was installed on what became the M1911 at the request of the U.S. cavalry, who wanted a means of making the pistol safe while trying to control an unruly horse. The Polish cavalry thought the better alternative was to drop the hammer, then re-cock the pistol after the horse was brought under control. So the Radom has a hammer drop lever, but not a manual safety. The Radom can be safely carried with the chamber loaded and the hammer down, since it (like the 1911) has an inertia firing pin. The half-cock was not normally used.

In late Radoms, the takedown latch was eliminated. Its function of retaining the hammer and sear pins was eliminated by using rivet type pins, and its function of positioning the slide for takedown was taken over by a clever combination of the takedown latch and a notch in the top rear of the hammer.

Jim
Old November 20, 2011, 01:31 PM   #8
Dino.

Quote:
The Radom, like JMB's original pistol design, has a half cock as its only manual safety. It does "lock the trigger" in the sense that the trigger cannot be pulled while the sear is in the half cock notch.

The manual safety was installed on what became the M1911 at the request of the U.S. cavalry, who wanted a means of making the pistol safe while trying to control an unruly horse. The Polish cavalry thought the better alternative was to drop the hammer, then re-cock the pistol after the horse was brought under control. So the Radom has a hammer drop lever, but not a manual safety. The Radom can be safely carried with the chamber loaded and the hammer down, since it (like the 1911) has an inertia firing pin. The half-cock was not normally used.

In late Radoms, the takedown latch was eliminated. Its function of retaining the hammer and sear pins was eliminated by using rivet type pins, and its function of positioning the slide for takedown was taken over by a clever combination of the takedown latch and a notch in the top rear of the hammer.

Jim
Thanks for the confirmation Jim!