The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 25, 2012, 06:06 PM   #1
603Country

The new Timney trigger - in use

A while back I mentioned that I was thinking about a new trigger from Timney - for my Ruger Hawkeye in 223. So I got the trigger, filed and relieved as needed and put it to use. The wife's deer feeder is about 100 yards from my rest (porch railing) and when the darn squirrlels start spinning the thrower plate I get the 223 and adjust their attitude (head shoot them). I'm just saying that I'm really really happy with that Timney trigger. I might have it set a bit too light, so I'll order a trigger pull gauge to check out the pull weight. The trigger is such a nice upgrade. I should've done this last year.
Old August 26, 2012, 08:21 AM   #2
warbirdlover

Timney's are sweet. Haven't put one on a rifle in many years but am thinking of doing it to my 700 SPS Buckmasters .270. The X-Mark Pro trigger on it is pretty darn good though so haven't yet bothered but if I get some mad money I'll do it for the heck of it.
Old August 26, 2012, 05:26 PM   #3
coyota1

I was thinking of replacing the stock trigger on my 788 223 with a Timney. My gunsmith did a good trigger job, but at the bench I can still detect a little creep. I walk with this rifle, and often in cold weather, so 4 lbs would be about right.
Old August 27, 2012, 01:13 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

I put a Timney trigger and sear in my M77 Mk II a couple years ago. The Timney springs were far too light for my tastes, so I put the factory spring back in. Trigger pull is probably around 3.5-4 lbs, now. After a short wear-in period, I polished a few of the contact surfaces and it's as smooth and crisp as can be.
Old August 27, 2012, 01:58 AM   #5
coyota1

I be your 77 had a 2 stage trigger? I found it unnecessary to have two stage when your let off is 3 lbs. Is that why you replaced the trigger group?
Old August 27, 2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Saltydog235

Replaced the Trigger on my 700 7mm08 project gun with a Timney a while back, best upgrade I did on the gun. The X-Pro isn't a very good trigger, not even close to the Timney.

Going to build another 7mm08 Project gun on the same platform, its the first thing on the budget.
Old August 27, 2012, 04:08 PM   #7
hooligan1

Own two Timney's and I will probably end up with two more, (for my two Savage rifles) I love the crispness of the trigger and it seems to be repeatable over several firing sequences.
I think the Timney is the sweetest trigger for the money, made today.