The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 22, 2000, 10:05 PM   #1
Good Guy

Winchester 9422 Pin Dimensions Needed

Anyone own a Winchester 9422 rifle and a set of calipers or micrometer? Can any of you 9422 owners out there be of help. I need the length and diameter of the ”bolt cam pin” that connects the breech bolt to the bolt slide. This pin floats when installed and is the one that is always handled when the rifle is disassembled by removing the take down screw and splitting the rifle. If you have taken apart a 9422 before, you probably know which one I’m talking about.

The “bolt cam pin” is pictured as part #549, the ‘bolt slide” is part #749 and the “breech bolt” is part #349. #549 is the part in question. See diagram below.

I’d order the part from Winchester but you know how slow that can be. I was trying to avoid the “trial and error” method by getting the pin dimensions before making a pin. Many thanks for any information any TFL’ers can offer.

------------------
Just one of the Good Guys

[This message has been edited by Good Guy (edited September 22, 2000).]
Old September 24, 2000, 08:24 PM   #2
Good Guy

BTT

------------------
Old September 27, 2000, 10:39 PM   #3
Halfpint

Location: About to be gobbled up by "The People's Republic of Firestone"!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Good Guy:

Winchester 9422 Pin Dimensions Needed

Anyone own a Winchester 9422 rifle and a set of calipers or micrometer? Can any of you 9422 owners out there be of help. I need the length and diameter of the ”bolt cam pin” that connects the breech bolt to the bolt slide. This pin floats when installed and is the one that is always handled when the rifle is disassembled by removing the take down screw and splitting the rifle. If you have taken apart a 9422 before, you probably know which one I’m talking about.
[/quote]

Yep, sure do *know* that part. {BSE GRIN!}

Anyway... As measured via my RCBS dial caliper:

Length: .8374" to .8375" ??

(I looked at the dial under a magnifying light and it was just too close to call one way or the other with my `bad?' eyes. {WAN GRIN!})

Dia: .1432" to .14325" ??

(Again under a magnifying lamp and it was awfully close to call again.)

Hopefully these measurements are within the `ballpark' that you need. Since my `bad?' luck with my old Win Model 61 and a couple pins in it, one quite similar to the one you're asking about, I've always had *at least* a pair or two on hand either right in the case with the firearm or in my tool case. Now that I also own both the model 61 and a pair of 9422s I have baggies marked for each with spares.

Now... {WAN GRIN!} Are there any other `spares' I should be keeping for these three? (Take into account that the 9422s are shot *a lot more* than the model 61 because I'm trying to keep the model 61 in as good shape as possible since no one makes anything quite like it anymore. I want to do what my father did and hand it down to my son, or my daughter whichever one really wants it, eventually.)

------------------
Doleo ergo sum,
-HALFPINT-
Old September 28, 2000, 11:39 AM   #4
Good Guy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Halfpint:
Yep, sure do *know* that part. {BSE GRIN!}[/quote]

Thanks Halfpint! I figured someone here would know that part. Those measurements are fine. Much easier to start with correct dimensions when making a part, even one a simple as the pin I lost .

I've never owned a Model 61, but as for the 9422 and small parts, aside from the cam pin, a firing pin and rear sight elevator might come in handy someday and maybe an extractor/ejector.

THANKS AGAIN!

------------------
Old September 29, 2000, 04:10 AM   #5
Halfpint

Location: About to be gobbled up by "The People's Republic of Firestone"!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Good Guy:
Thanks Halfpint! I figured someone here would know that part. Those measurements are fine. Much easier to start with correct dimensions when making a part, even one a simple as the pin I lost .

I've never owned a Model 61, but as for the 9422 and small parts, aside from the cam pin, a firing pin and rear sight elevator might come in handy someday and maybe an extractor/ejector.

THANKS AGAIN!

[/quote]

No problem!

The model 61 is a `hammerless' pump that has quite a few similarities to the 9422. While it doesn't have the `floating' pin that the 9422 has it *does* have a pin that's just as much of a `bear' and can be as easily `lost' if'n one isn't careful when inside it.

Anyway, it's the least I could do for a fellow 9422 fan.

------------------
Doleo ergo sum,
-HALFPINT-