The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2005, 07:54 PM   #1
brasszz

Tar Removal

I bought some indian .308 surplus ammo a few years ago before I found out it was junk. When I found out how crappy the ammo was I stopped shooting it and I 've had it laying around ever since. I am in the process of pulling the ammo down so I can make some use out of it, but I'm not sure what the best way of getting out the tar used to seal the bullets. I thought of using paint thinner, denatured alcohol, or acetone. Will any of these work or is there a better way?
Old May 5, 2005, 09:20 PM   #2
Bob41081

Tar removal

Any of those should work. WD-40 should also work. If you arenot interestred in saving the powder or primers a 50/50 solution of Dawn soap and water should also work and would be alot safer although it will reguire a little more elbow grease. A few yrs ago I was doing some experiments to test Rig Washes, using a 17.5 ppg Oil mud. On a lark I tried a 1% Dawn solution and it was as good as any of the rig wash samples.

Bob
Old May 5, 2005, 09:20 PM   #3
Mark whiz

I've used paint thinner & mineral spirits before to clean up pulled surplus bullets - worked real well. I then tumbled them to give a good final cleaning & polish to them.
!
Old May 5, 2005, 09:21 PM   #4
sundog

Ed's Red, and then throw it in the tumbler? sundog