The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 1, 2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Dreaming100Straight

Cut Recoil Pad

I have been urged to cut the stock of my Citori XS Skeet by 1/4", but that isn't going to happen unless I am certain that is what I want and so I tried something that others may have known about. I had an old recoil pad off of a Remington 870 Express that was gathering dust so I got the cheapy hand saw out and cut it down so the depth is approximately 1/4" less than the depth of the Citori's pad. After cutting with the hand saw (actually a cheap mitre saw from HD), I evened the cut up with an old belt saw.

The screw holes do not quite line up, but I don't care as they are only off by a fraction and all I need is one screw to hold the modified pad to the Citori for testing. I also only want a single screw in place to allow me to twist the pad off center slightly similar to a pad adjuster like a 100 Straight.
Old June 2, 2013, 06:51 AM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Before you go cutting your stock (or having it done by a pro), it might be of benefit to visit an actual stock fitter and get measured. There is more to correct stock fit than LOP - there is cast, drop at heel, drop at comb, toe in or out, pitch, even the thickness of the comb to consider. There are specific tools to accomplish this and it takes someone else to measure you to get the correct numbers. You may only need a little off the back, or you might need something else - possibly something that a fully adjustable system on the back might solve
Old June 2, 2013, 08:33 AM   #3
JWT

Go to a gunsmith who specializes in proper fitting and have the gun fit properly as BigDin suggests.
Old June 2, 2013, 01:50 PM   #4
zippy13

JWT,
I think it's BigD as in Big D in Florida not Big Din

D100S,
Yes, I share your concern, there's something very final about trimming a stock - you want to be sure.
Old June 2, 2013, 02:03 PM   #5
JWT

Zippy - you are correct sir. My goof Big D.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:45 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

You're not the first - no biggie. Guess I should have used an underscore to make it clearer.......
Old June 7, 2013, 02:38 AM   #7
Dreaming100Straight

I shot some clay with the "new" recoil pad. I also moved the adjustable trigger shoe back to the rearmost position. The combined effect rendered a LOP of 14", which seems to work better for me.
Old June 7, 2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Bailey Boat

Those guns come with a "standard" 1" pad, look at the Pachmeyer site and you'll find pads in various thickness and they have a couple there that are 3/4". That should do the trick!!!
Old June 7, 2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Dreaming100Straight

I measured very carefully and it's 7/8". I suppose it could have been 1/8" thicker when it was new. After taking a saw to the Remington pad, that pad is 5/8 or .625" thick. I want to shoot with it on for a few weeks and then I will put it on the belt sander and take it down to an even 1/2". Then, I will probably select a pad and it well may be a Pachmayr, which makes one pad with that comes as thin as .6"; the Decelerator Old English also available in .8 and 1.0".

This outfit offers a red 1/2" pad. http://www.gunsinternational.com/Red...n_id=100137734

Anyhow one reason for this thread was to suggest that before cutting a stock to change the LOP one might merely cut the pad. Pads are easily replaced (especially if you have a spare one laying about that will work as did I) whereas cutting wood is irreversible unless you fancy spacers.

Still, LOP isn't the last word and, as Big D notes, drop may have a lot to do with it. Now both my Citori and my 870 have 14" LOPs, but my Remington feels small in my arms. Many will laugh at the idea of comparing a Citori to a synthetic Remington, but the primary difference between the two is the skeet gun is a parallel stock while the 870 has a sloping comb, (There are others, such as the fact that the synthetic has a thinner stock but I believe that is the major difference.)
Old June 8, 2013, 10:36 PM   #10
Clark

The wife [also and engineer and a woodworker] brought home a power miter saw for cutting ABS drain pipes in 1982.

I have used it more than she has.

Same pic as uploaded below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MiterSaw.jpg (96.8 KB, 54 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 8, 2013, 10:51 PM   #11
Dreaming100Straight

You got some big ones, Clark. I have a 12" mitre saw, but I wouldn't want to try and cut my Citoti's stock with it. I don't believe it would make the cut in one pass and why I suppose if I had to cut from two sides the job could be done but with a lot of work from Mr. Rasp and Mr. Sander. I will pay a pro to do mine. Still, I will experiment with cutting the stock on a junker.

Tags
cut recoil pad , shorten stock