The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 29, 2013, 07:50 AM   #1
.50cal packer

MN m44 compensator question?

As many of us are Mosin fanatics, I recently bought a T53 as a project gun. I'm aware they aren't the prettiest or hardiest of the Mosin's, but how can you pass up a great price on a Mosin. Now for the question, while looking for original parts, as most are missing cleaning rods, slings, ect... I came across a M44 compensator, That fits of course the M38/44/53. Now I can see how it wouldn't have a problem with the 38 as there isn't a folding bayonet at all. But with the M44 and T53 unfolded and attached to the barrel when extended, how can both be on and deployed at the same time? Many will argue, the bayonet doesn't add any or much better POI, but it certainly helps with my 91/30. So can they be used at the same time or do you need to pick and choose the lesser of the 2 evils? Thanks in advance for any advice.
IT SEEMS TO ME, LIKE ALL THESE NEW GUYS THINK...

Last edited by .50cal packer; May 29, 2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:25 AM   #2
jsmaye

Quote:
Many will argue, the bayonet doesn't add any or much better POI, but it certainly helps with my 91/30.
They'd be wrong - the rifle is sighted in with the bayonet extended. It was designed to be fired with the bayonet extended. In fact, it's been said Russian/Soviet Army doctrine was, instead of being a rifle with a bayonet, the MN 91/30 was a spear/pike/lance that shot five rounds.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:48 AM   #3
.50cal packer

jsmaye, I completely agree. I find that the accuracy is significantly better with the bayonet on. Hints the original question about putting on a compensator where the bayonet snaps onto the barrel. It might lighten the recoil, but if the MOA of the groups are more than you paid for the gun, then whats the point of having it on? The description doesn't say that the bayonet will attach to the compensator, so I'm assuming it will not, since it's larger than the barrel.. I guess I answered my own question then. But if anyone has put a compensator on theirs, I'd like to hear about it, and how it worked on your Mosin.
Old May 30, 2013, 08:44 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The M-N uses the old fashioned socket bayonet and the carbines use a folding bayonet. I don't see how either could be used with a comp on the rifle. The SVT38 and 40 have comps with a small muzzle end over which the bayonet ring fits. Those bayonets are like the Mauser bayonet with a latch at the rear and a muzzle ring.

Jim
Old May 30, 2013, 08:48 AM   #5
.50cal packer

As I thought Jim. Thank you for the verification. This is the compensator in question.
http://www.tickbitesupply.com/mos.html#mosacc

Just doesn't make sense.
Old May 30, 2013, 09:32 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

They don't say the bayonet can be used with the comp. The juxtaposition of the bayonet ad and the comp ad is just coincidence.

Jim