The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 25, 2013, 06:45 PM   #51
MLeake

I have actually seen signs prohibiting the unlawful carry of firearms. I am perfectly fine with those signs, as I carry lawfully.
Old January 25, 2013, 07:23 PM   #52
WyMark

Quote:
When I see a "no guns or weapons" sign(s) in a private business, I assume it's for illegal or unlawful carry of concealed weapons.
If you have a concealed weapon or a valid carry license, I wouldn't worry about it. If they see or spot your sidearm(or folder knife), just pay your bill & leave.
That's not always true, in Wyoming signs do have the force of law, and the bolded sentence below applies to "no guns" signs the same as to "no trespassing" signs.

Quote:
6-3-303. Criminal Trespass; Penalties.
(a) A person is guilty of criminal trespass if he enters or remains on or in the land or premises of another person, knowing he is not authorized to do so, or after being notified to depart or to not trespass. For purposes of this section, notice is given by:
(i) Personal communication to the person by the owner or occupant, or his agent, or by a peace officer; or
(ii) Posting of signs reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders.
(b) Criminal trespass is a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than six (6) months, a fine of not more than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00), or both.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wyoming.pdf
Old January 26, 2013, 04:39 PM   #53
Glenn E. Meyer

OK - if you want to recommend that a sign as legal force or not and you will do XYZ - Don't unless you are responding to a specific law that you have researched for the location in question.

Otherwise, the opinion is worthless.

Don't say that you break a law.
Old January 26, 2013, 06:08 PM   #54
EODK9Trainer424

Why are you not naming the restaurant? A few hundred emails to corporate might make a difference.