The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 14, 2009, 07:52 PM   #1
kron

Stoeger SxS 20ga - Any Serious Issues?

Any serious issues or reasons one would NOT recommend purchase of this firearm for CAS intro coach gun?

If so, any other recommendations? I know this may be opening a can of worms for personal preferences, but we'll see where it goes.

Thanks
Old October 14, 2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Hawg

From what I get off the SASS forum they're good guns and many people use them. Most agree the chambers need polishing for ease of ejection(no automatic ejectors allowed) and the springs need to be lightened for ease of opening but this will be the case for most guns.
Old October 15, 2009, 06:17 AM   #3
Springfield Kid

I have one of the Upland in 12 ga with 2 triggers .
I don`t shoot CAS , bought it for hunting and playing on the skeet range .
I have owned it for 5 or 6 years now and it is as tight today as it was out of the box .
I reload my hulls and the extractor was a plus for me , I don`t like shotguns that throw the emptys out in the mud .
Old October 15, 2009, 07:37 AM   #4
MacGille

I used one in CAS and found the barrels non regulated. Each barrel shot to its own point of aim. I replaced it with a winchester 1897.
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><
Old October 15, 2009, 07:37 AM   #5
Wleoff

Get the model with double triggers. The one with a single trigger has had some problems. I've shot one in SASS (#9662) for about fifteen years and finally had to replace the firing pins this year. I did have the chambers polished and the action smoothed to start with. Mine's a 12 gauge.

It's the bottom one in the photo. I play with the others in competition, sometimes, but go back to the Stoeger when I'm serious. Good luck.
Old October 15, 2009, 08:04 AM   #6
Noz

A good bit of advice is to stay away from the 20 for CAS. Good gun, good caliber but the availability of "store bought" CAS loads for the 20 is sadly lacking. 12 ga ammunition is much more available and generally cheaper than 20. Components for reloading are more varied for 12 than 20.
Some folks go to the 20 for a lighter recoil but all reports indicate that the lightly loaded 12s are much easier on the body.
I am a 20 ga fan and all my hunting shotguns are 20s. I shoot a 12 for CAS.
Old October 15, 2009, 08:36 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

I have a Stoeger coach gun in 12ga. I have polished the chambers and some minor polishing on interior parts. It's been super reliable for me. Moderate recoil, both barrels hit poa. It has become my night stand gun, it replaced a tricked out 870P because of it's lighter weight and handling characteristics.
Old October 15, 2009, 05:33 PM   #8
kron

Was thinking 20ga because that's what I like to hunt with, but wasn't thinking about the fact that I could build CAS loads for the 12ga as well... Always an option.

Will be loading my own for whatever firearm I end up buying anyways.

Thanks!
Kron
Old October 15, 2009, 08:14 PM   #9
wjt4

I shoot a 20 gauge Stoeger in SASS. I bought it originally because I didn't know any better and figured it wouldn't kick as much as a 12 gauge. I had some action work done on it and I also put a "kick eeze" pad on the stock. For me it works, but if I had to do it again I would buy a 12. You can't find feather lite ammo for the 20 at the local store. The 12 gauge has feather lite ammo almost everywhere I look. It is also hard to download 20 gauge shells. I do think that ammo for the 20 is about the same price as a 12 unless you buy the really cheap 12 gauge ribbed shells. Those don't eject very well at all from either a 20 or a 12. Price for guns in both gauges is exactly the same. My advice would be to buy a 12 gauge if you want to shoot CAS. Just my 2 cents

Ned Lander