The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 18, 2013, 09:59 AM   #1
TunnelRat

Ruger SR9c: I Didn't Think I Was That Bad

Hi all,
Some time back I picked up a Ruger SR9c for the wife. She really likes it and I have a fondness for it too. Anyway I went to the range with it just to function test it with a few hundred rounds. I was having a heck of a time hitting with it. All my shots were all at least 2-3 in high at say 10 yards and I was having a bear of a time being consistent with windage, a lot of shots going right. Now this is odd to me as I rented a Ruger SR9c at the range before I bought this one and was really impressed with how it shot. I was doing mag dumps into the head of a silhouette target at 7 yards.

So I'm left scratching my head and trying to figure what's up. I am thinking maybe the adjustable sights are pretty off. Now I usually never adjust sights, I just leave them as is from factory, and typically POI=POA. The only other thing I notice is if I sit the barrel in the slide without the recoil spring assembly there is quite a bit of play. Not sure what to do at this point. Pointers appreciated.

Update: See Post #20.

-TR
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 21, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:14 AM   #2
AndyWest

I'm certain you're not that bad. Did you shoot a rental SR9c along with your own at the same time?
Old January 18, 2013, 10:21 AM   #3
cmdc

I have that pistol, as well as a full-size, and they are both very accurate for me. It's probably not you. You might have a friend shoot it for a comparison/contrast, but it sounds like it might need a trip back to Ruger.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Officer's Match

I agree with AndyWest - go rent the one you initially shot and try them side by side.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:28 AM   #5
915A

TR

Man sorry to hear that. Mine has been great. I had a similar issue, but it turns out it was me. Not saying its the same for you. I let a buddy shoot mine and he was money with it, so maybe give it to a friend and see how he/she shoots with it.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Walt Sherrill

If another shooter gets the same results, or you get the same results while shooting from a rest, and you're shooting the same bullet weight as before (which may have some effect on the POI), contact Ruger for a new, lower rear sight.

Tell them how high you're shooting at what distance. They may have to know which rear sight is installed.

It may be that simple...
Old January 18, 2013, 10:59 AM   #7
TunnelRat

Thanks guys. Shooting them both side by side is a good idea, might be able to try that this Sunday. Only other question is what type of hold are Rugers meant for? I'm used to covering the POA with the front sight post as that's how all my HKs work. Maybe if the Ruger is expecting a 6 o'clock hold it could just be where I am holding?
Old January 18, 2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Fishbed77

6 o'clock hold on my brother's full-size SR9.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:20 AM   #9
915A

I use image 2
Old January 18, 2013, 12:22 PM   #10
jd70

I've had factory sights pretty far off. Might take a little time to sight it in; it usually makes a diffrence. Try using diffrent bullet weights as well, you might have a gun that "likes"only one.
Old January 18, 2013, 12:29 PM   #11
AndyWest

6 hold would be like 915A's sight pic 1 (thanks 915A), which you're probably not doing.... From what little I've read the terminology differs on pics 2 and 3, but I sight for pic 2 ("center hold" to me) on all mine.
Old January 18, 2013, 12:58 PM   #12
TunnelRat

I'm doing image 3 as that's worked for my past handguns.
Old January 18, 2013, 01:15 PM   #13
915A

Next time I go out, Im gonna compare all three.
Old January 18, 2013, 01:23 PM   #14
labhound

The rear site is adjustable for height and windage, adjust it if you need to. Both the SR9's I have owned shot high from the factory using sight image #3. Adjust them to whatever sight image you want to shoot with.
Old January 18, 2013, 07:26 PM   #15
Erikbal

Mine has shot great right out of the box. It's actually the most accurate I've ever shot with a pistol. I haven't shot a ton of pistols though.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 18, 2013, 08:39 PM   #16
Walt Sherrill

I didn't realize the SR9C had adjustable sights -- and I never had to touch my SR9's sights, so never paid attention. (I like that gun, by the way, but don't shoot it all that frequently.)

Just lower the rear sight, by turning the screw! (Rear sights: move the sight in the direction you want the point-of-impact to move...)
Old January 18, 2013, 08:57 PM   #17
Sarge

40 years of shooting has convinced me of the following-

Fixed sights are unlikely to be adjusted by the purchaser, so the manufacturers to make a reasonable effort to zero them- say, on a pack of cigarettes at 15 yards.

Manufacturers know that adjustable sights are very likely to be adjusted by the purchaser. The manufacturer further realizes that he cannot adjust those sights to accommodate every set of hands and eyes- not to mention every load. So they rough zero them and leave the rest to the guy or gal who paid extra for the ability to do just that.
Old January 18, 2013, 08:58 PM   #18
uradaisyifudo

My sr40c shot a little low for me first time out, but the rear sight has a little screw on top that makes it easily adjustable, now it shoots great...it grouped well before, just low. Now if I can find that same little screw on my wife, she also shoots low sometimes, or maybe she is aiming low to begin with, could explain her choice in a spouse...
Old January 18, 2013, 10:31 PM   #19
CROWSNEST

A friend of mine had to send his sr9 barrel back to ruger to be replaced. When cleaning it he said it appeared that there was something in the barrel that wouldn't clean out. Upon closer inspection it wasn't fouling or dirt or anything in the barrel, it was the barrel itself coming apart inside. He said it was like the lands were peeling away or something crazy like that. Heat treat problem or something? Not really sure but they replaced it. Clean it out good and take a look to see if anything appears odd.
Old January 21, 2013, 06:13 PM   #20
TunnelRat

Update:
Took it back to the range Sunday. I managed to get the elevation where I wanted but I had to completely lower the rear sight, screw is as tight as it will go. Windage is still a bit to the right. Had a fellow shooter shoot it and he had the same problem. In closer inspection the front sight is drifted pretty far to the left. I think this is my windage issue. The read sight is already pretty far left. So I'll prob need to see a smith to get it drifted. Function wise I've had a failure to extract, not eject but extract, say once every 80 rounds or so? This was with Federal American Eagle 124 and 147 gr.

I still love the size and feel of the gun, but I'm a little cool towards it. Not sure if I should send it to Ruger.

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 21, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old January 21, 2013, 07:24 PM   #21
Walt Sherrill

You can drift the sights yourself, with a brass punch and light hammer (may a small metal or slightly heavier plastic-headed hammer.) You should have those in your gun bag or tool box, regardless.

Center both sights in the dovetails at home, and then take the punch and hammer with you to the range the next time you shoot... and try sighting it in at about 25' feet. Adjust as needed as you shoot from a rest. (If you still need to go lower, you'll probably need as for a higher front sight from Ruger...)

Federal American Eagle and Winchester White Box will give more problems than more expensive (or better quality) ammo.
Old January 21, 2013, 07:30 PM   #22
TunnelRat

Quote:
You can drift the sights yourself, with a brass punch and light hammer (may a small metal or slightly heavier plastic-headed hammer.) You should have those in your gun bag or tool box, regardless.
I do, but I don't have a good vise, I just moved. I'd rather bring it to someone with a sight pusher when it's only going to cost me like $25.

Quote:
Federal American Eagle and Winchester White Box will give more problems than more expensive (or better quality) ammo.
It's never given me any problems with thousands of rounds down dozens of other pistols. This isn't a custom 1911. If you have the money to run premium ammo for target practice great for you, I don't.
Old January 21, 2013, 07:36 PM   #23
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
It's never given me any problems with thousands of rounds down dozens of other pistols. This isn't a custom 1911. If you have the money to run premium ammo for target practice great for you, I don't.
I've never had problems with Blazer, Sellier & Bellot, Georgia Arms, Blazer Brass, or PMC -- and those prices are generally comparable to WWB or UMC, and I think they're all better ammo.

(Some folks don't like Blazer Aluminum cased ammo, extraction problems, but it's always been fine in my guns, in all calibers.)
Old January 21, 2013, 07:38 PM   #24
TunnelRat

Quote:
I've never had problems with Blazer, Sellier & Bellot, Georgia Arms, Blazer Brass, or PMC
I don't find those around me. Again I've never had issues with American Eagle. If you have that's your own experience and I won't discount it, but it doesn't match mine.

Edit: I can't remember if it was you but I remember a similar conversation with someone over a S&W 1911. That person was also dead set it was the ammo. A trip to S&W and it came home running like a top on anything I could feed it. I don't find most production ammo to be junk, it's usually okay.

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 21, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:25 PM   #25
Sarge

I've bought cases & cases of Winchester USA and American Eagle 9/40/45 for Departments were I was running the firearms program or simply qualifying their officers as a matter of courtesy, because they didn't have a FTO at the time. It was fired in about every service pistol you can name between 1990 and present, plus some greater and lesser known SMG's.

Never had an issue with any of it.