The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 12, 2005, 11:52 PM   #1
Dead-Nuts-Zero

MZ Loader Powder pellets Safety ?

I posted this in the Black Powder forum and had no replies. Maybe someone in here can comment on my question.

I like to shoot my muzzle loader with about 100 gr. and I use 2 pellets. My question is this...Can I take a powder pellet and safely cut it in about half with a razor blade or sharp box cutter? I think 3 pellets is too much and would like to try about 125 gr. I don't know much about black powder and the new pellets so I am staying away from screwin around with something that can go BooM.

Anyone done this and still have all digets?

I think it can be done but I respect things I don't understand.

Thanks for any comments.
Old September 13, 2005, 02:44 AM   #2
rwilson452

Pellets

I presume your talking about using 2 50gr pellets. Cutting the pellet can effect the burn. Pyrodex also makes 30gr pellets. I would go that way. With my 50Cal CVA Wolf I found that with either 130 or 150gr. Bang went up and accuracy went down. Naturally your result my differ.
Old September 14, 2005, 09:55 PM   #3
AirCavVietnam

pellets for fingers

For what it's worth- any can of black powder is marked explosive where as smokeless powder is marked flamable. Now trying to force a cutting knife - razor blade through a solid pellet - please don't ....I ONCE tried to grind real fine a wee bit of fff black powder for use in flash pan of flintlock ...Planely put - it didn't work.. toasted finger tip