The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 20, 2015, 04:25 PM   #1
COSteve

Ruger New Mini-14 - A Second Look

I've been shooting ARs for over a dozen years (had a GI issue some 45 yrs ago but didn't shoot it because with both my M-2 50 MG on the cupola and the 90mm main gun on my tank, it really wasn't needed). While I enjoy ARs, both my light weight 14.7" middy and heavy 20" long range shooter, and they are killer accurate, I'm still a wood and steel rifle guy at heart.

It's true that my long range AR wears real walnut stock, forend, and custom pistol grip but at heart it's still a 'Black Rifle'. My collection of long guns runs more to leverguns but also includes an M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, and M1A and they all are wood and steel rifles that just look and feel like real rifles to me. Fact is, the S&W MP15 Magpul middy is the only plastic stocked long gun I own.

So, it's no surprise that the Ruger Ranch Hand Mini-14 holds some appeal being wood and steel and all, but I've stayed away from them because of their reputation of poor accuracy. Recently, however, that changed when I got the chance to shoot a friend's new model 5801 with some enhancements he did to it that gave it decent accuracy.

How good? Accuracy in the 1" at 100 yds arena as demonstrated in this July 2012 post right here on The Firing Line. While not sub MOA that ARs are known for, that is still well within the accuracy of many modern hunting rifles. Couple with that level of accuracy with the compact design of the Ruger and it's worth another look as a field gun or plinker. Not every gun I own needs to be a bullseye shooter as I'm not myself and the appeal of a light, compact scaled down M14 type shooter appeals to me.

My friend explained that the new, heavier barreled 580 series Rugers manufactured since late 2005, are more accurate out of the box and with a simple trigger job (videos on Youtube) can be made to be decent 1"-1½" at 100yd shooters which is consistent with must long guns these days. He also installed a Accu-Strut barrel stabilizer under his barrel to further dampen vibration which he said helped, but he admitted that he added it mostly because he liked the look of his Ruger better with it installed.

Shooting his Ruger with his 60grn handloads proved him right as he was able to shoot multiple groups just over 1" at 100 yds and even I, not your best 67 yr old benchrest shooter by a long shot, was able to shoot under 2" groups with a new gun and scope setup. I'll have to say that I was impressed enough to look into collecting a Ruger Ranch Hand basic model (wood and blued steel) for myself one day . . . soon.
Old February 20, 2015, 06:58 PM   #2
rickyrick

I've had a 581 since '09 and I love it... I had replaced the wood stock with a tactical type just to preserve the wood while running around through the brush.... Never liked the tactical stock, but the wood kinda got left behind in a divorce and I'm NOT going BACK for it.lol

I wish to reinstall a wood stock now. I'm working on another AR and the polymer stock just doesn't belong on the mini... Maybe one of those cool laminated stocks might sit under it
Old February 21, 2015, 01:07 AM   #3
chris in va

Huh, 1moa you say. I may have to re-think the Mini again.

I really can't get excited about my AR with all the stuff protruding everywhere, would be nice to have something closer to my Garand in operation.

I will say inserting the mag on the Mini is a PITA. Is there some trick to it?
Old February 21, 2015, 01:14 AM   #4
rickyrick

Insert the mag with the bolt open... Stick the front corner in deep first

With good hornaday hunting ammo, my Mini will do this

Old February 21, 2015, 11:39 AM   #5
USMC 77-81

I have a 1990's manufactured Mini with a 1/7 twist that likes heavy bullets being pushed with Varget (Sportsmans' warehouse in Lewiston has Varget on the shelf!) which produced a 3 shot 1 hole group at 50 yards, I'm currently in load development and will be pushing the distance out when the weather warms a little. I also expect good accuracy from heavy bullets with various other powders which I will move on to once I get my Varget load finalized.
Old February 21, 2015, 02:40 PM   #6
geetarman

Rickyrick,

What range did you shoot that group?

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 21, 2015, 03:08 PM   #7
rickyrick

100 paced off so give or take a few

Was v-max ammo... Not too much coffee or cigarettes that day..

Prone on a good rest (my backpack)

It won't do that with plinking ammo

Took me some time to find a 100yard swath clear enough to shoot that far with it...
Old February 22, 2015, 11:47 AM   #8
geetarman

Rickyrick,

Please tell me more about your Mini. I have never seen one shoot that good.

What series do you have and what scope?

I am SERIOUSLY interested in getting one myself. I have had two and while they were reliable, they were not very accurate.

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 22, 2015, 12:08 PM   #9
rickyrick

Bushnell 3-9x40

It was a 581 tapered barrel mini built and purchased in 2009.

At the time of that shot, I had installed one of those john madsen black warrior muzzle brakes... I think that might have helped... However I didn't know at the time that the roll pin didn't line up with the roll pin slot in the barrel...
The roll pin actually passed in front of the front edge of the barrel..

Amazingly the brake stayed on for couple or three years, it went down range not long ago lol...

The brake was installed because when hunting prone, the mini would kick up lots of dust... The brake fulfilled the task.

There's lots of confusion as to what muzzle devices fit which mini's (even with manufacturers) so my next step is thread the muzzle and be done with it....

Also this has a very tight fitting polymer stock, not sure if this had the same effect as bedding.... I ordered it directly from ATI because I didn't want black, or green, or tan or any other of the tactical colors... They will make a color to order( or they used to) I'm going back to wood, however I don't have the original.

Anyway bulk plinking and surplus ammo won't do that... 2-3 inches.
I'm sure a hand loader can squeeze lots of accuracy out of a mini..
I've always had good luck out of hornaday premium cartridges.
Old February 23, 2015, 08:57 AM   #10
Skans

Be careful about stepping over to the "Dark Side" and embracing a Mini-14. Many AR folks have had secret love affairs with the Mini-14 which upon exploring this platform leads to feelings of betrayal, abandonment, bewilderment, and inadequacy all for the forbidden love of wood and steel. Tread carefully soldier......
Old February 23, 2015, 09:31 AM   #11
geetarman

I am feeling a cold wind blowing. . . .

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 24, 2015, 01:09 PM   #12
Bamashooter

I have both AR and Mini-14. The AR is more accurate but the mini will shoot 1.5" groups with my handloads and sometimes a little better. Like them both. Don't believe everything you hear about the Mini.

Mine is a 580 series skinny barrel with accustrut and trigger job. Shoots good with iron sights and shoots better with my Burris on top.
Old February 24, 2015, 02:40 PM   #13
T-90

I am really wanting to like the Mini-14. In some ways I like the concept more than the AR-15, but I hear steel case ammo is a no-no, and mags seem to be a bit pricy for it.

Any thoughts on steel case ammo in the Mini-14? Or cheaper after market mags?
Old February 24, 2015, 03:06 PM   #14
rickyrick

I've used tons of steel cased ammo... No problems... There was a period when that was all that was available.
Ruger mags are expensive but tough...

I have a couple of pro mags that work just fine...

I have three mags for the mini ..... They have supported my shooting habits just fine
Old February 24, 2015, 03:09 PM   #15
rickyrick

If you do plan on shooting cheapie Russian steel case ammo...

Don't blame the rifle if it's not too accurate...

But I see no wear issues with steel cased ammo
Old February 24, 2015, 10:34 PM   #16
Rogervzv

Quote:
If you do plan on shooting cheapie Russian steel case ammo...

Don't blame the rifle if it's not too accurate...

But I see no wear issues with steel cased ammo
Well, I'm not shooting that junk in my nice Mini 14s...

Old February 25, 2015, 01:31 AM   #17
1stmar

Roger those 100 yards?
Old February 25, 2015, 07:26 AM   #18
geetarman

Is that 100 yards and handloads?

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 26, 2015, 09:56 PM   #19
Mannlicher

heck, this old timer will give 1.5 inch 100 yard groups.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old March 1, 2015, 12:14 AM   #20
johnwilliamson062

Ruger uses light "sporting" profile barrels on pretty much all their guns. THey don't do rapid fire well.

I had an early 580 cut to 16.25 with gas port bushings, etc. I'm not sure how accurate it got. I have never fired it off of sandbags. I have used it at informal CMP shoots and I didn't shoot significantly worse than my CMP Garand from the prone. The guy three positions down relayed from the guy 6 positions down that I was hitting him with all my spent brass.

http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/mini14.htm

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; March 1, 2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old March 1, 2015, 09:15 AM   #21
Ibmikey

Just like Babamashooter indicated one should not shy away from the Mini because of it's well earned reputation. My Tactical with 16" barrel and flash hider out shoots the half dozen previous Mini's I have owned by a large margin. I do however prefer the AR pattern for it's ease of adaptability to most any shooting task that you wish to fill, and I find that the Mini tends to stay in the rack while the AR's are gobbling the ammo. At least in my case.