The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 18, 2012, 04:57 PM   #1
ClydeFrog

? About the S&W American Series 686 engraved revolver...

Hi forum members;

My good friend in the US northeast is considering his 1st handgun purchase.
He wants a new DA revolver that will retain it's sale value over time.
My friend is looking at a NIB Smith & Wesson 686 American Series 4" barrel but I noticed a major flaw; .

The right side of this S&W 686 revolver(non cylinder release side) has a engraved US flag with the "stars" going the WRONG way!
Yes, I know many US gun owners support America & love the good ole Red White and Blue BUT does Smith & Wesson know about this engraving error?

I may be wrong but I've always heard the "stars" or blue part of the US Flag goes first. That's why US military troops & vehicles display the "reverse" flag on the right.
Please post here or PM me. No cranks or jokes please.
Let's keep it classy, .
Clyde
Old December 18, 2012, 05:03 PM   #2
spacecoast

I guess I see what you mean, I agree they could have done a better job imitating the true pattern of the stars.

Old December 18, 2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Mystro

The flag is shown as 'backwards' and worn on the right side as a symbol of soldier's always serging FORWARD, never retreating.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old December 18, 2012, 05:42 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Exactly!.....

That is 100% correct!
Maybe a group of real Americans can contact S&W en mass and request a change or at least ask them to drop the right side US flag logo on this revolver line if they can't change the mistake.

Thanks for the reply messages.
Clyde
www.smithandwesson.com
Old December 18, 2012, 06:00 PM   #5
BarryLee

Well, not sure, but doesn’t the reversed flag only apply to items like vehicles or people that might be in movement and not inanimate objects that would be carried. I mean maybe in this context the orientation of the flag is acceptable.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 19, 2012, 05:51 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

update: 12/19/2012 S&W headquarters....

Today I got a new email from a S&W staff member. She said she would pass it on to the other related dept supervisors.

Clyde
Old December 19, 2012, 09:27 PM   #7
spacecoast

I thought you were talking about the stars being all in a row vs. staggered as they are supposed to be.
Old December 21, 2012, 02:22 PM   #8
southjk

Regardless of the direction of the flag, I agree that the stars do look wrong all lined up like that. Each row is supposed to be staggered.