The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old December 8, 2002, 03:20 PM   #1
Chuck Dye

TFL & copyright: cost, risks, benefits

In signing on to another forum, I agreed that I will not post copyrighted material. The phrasing was inclusive, not mentioning fair use quotes. Presumably, I have even agreed not to post material for which I hold the copyright. I do not recall such terms when registering here, and note that a lot of copyrighted material is posted, some with links, some even without any attribution whatsoever. Have TFL or any of its posters ever (pardon the phrase) come under the gun for copyright violation?

Last edited by Chuck Dye; December 8, 2002 at 03:49 PM.
Old December 8, 2002, 04:15 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

You wouldn't happen to be an attorney specializing in copyright infringements, would you?

Old December 8, 2002, 06:48 PM   #3
HankL

Huck, we agreed to several things including to be responsible for our own actions and comments. " By agreeing to these terms, you agree that responsibility for any post lies with the individual author, and any consequences which result from acting on the information found herein lies solely with you. "

Most of what I have seen are links to manufactures or organization as well as links to, or quotes from news sites. Free advertising in my opinion.

Do you have a specific case in point ?

Regards,
Hank
Old December 8, 2002, 11:22 PM   #4
Chuck Dye

HankL,

The question arose with the Probability Zero story published in the July/August 2002 issue of Analog. It is titled "Zero Tolerance" and is a satire of zero tolerance,hoplophobia, and what the liberals have done to the justice system. I typed it into my word processor and fired it off, in e-mail, to a couple of talk show hosts with full attribution and caveats. The story would make a thread starter, though more pot stiring and entertaining than anything else. With luck, it will turn up on the website soon and I can just post the link. The question is just curiousity: we see clearly what the staff see fit to lock, catch occasional glimpses of what and who gets deleted, but I have never read of copyright hassles. Just wondered if they occur.
Old December 9, 2002, 07:32 PM   #5
HankL

Huck, I don't read Analog but I see where you are going. Might be fun.

Rich would probably be the only one who could comment as to if any copyright hassles have ever come up.

HankL off to see if he can find a copy of July/August 2002 copy of Analog
Old December 10, 2002, 12:50 AM   #6
C.R.Sam

Maby tangently applicable.

Works published on or after Mar 1, 1989 are exempt from the notice requirement.
Downside to that move is that infringer can no longer claim "innocent infringement", thereby opening the possibility of larger award to the copyright holder in the event of a claim.

I figure, when in doubt, ask.

Sam
Old December 10, 2002, 08:16 AM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

FWIW, the issue has never come up. If someone made us aware of an infringement, we'd correct it So far, it's never happened.
Rich
Old December 10, 2002, 12:28 PM   #8
Chuck Dye

Thank you Rich, that is the answer I sought. The train of thought was "This is fun. This could be fun on TFL. This is copyrighted: oops! never mind! Hey, I wonder if..."