The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 1, 2012, 02:46 PM   #1
smee78

S&W 5926

Hello Everyone,

It happened again, you know, Your just looking around on one of the auction sites and they next thing you know you just bought a pistol... I was having a third gen hankering and was looking around and found a S&W 5926. Does not seem to be alot of info out there, looks like they were made from around 90-93 and will use the same mags as my 5906. It will be a cross between my 1076/5906. I like the sig style decocker (P6/P245/P220) and think this will be a great fit to the collection. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? I know I will have to check to see if it was sent back for the recall. Thanks,
Old December 4, 2012, 09:33 AM   #2
hfl73

I've had a 5926 for several years now. It is strictly a range gun as its weight makes it a difficult carry weapon. It shoots great, recoil is manageable due to an all steel frame. It is similar to the 5906 except is has a decocker and a bobbed hammer. They are great guns.
Old December 4, 2012, 05:03 PM   #3
smee78

HFL73,

Thanks for your reply, I cant believe 235 looks and you are the first reply. I'm glad there is atleast one other person out there with one of these.
Old December 4, 2012, 10:48 PM   #4
RC20

I don't have one but its on my list to pick up if I ever find one at a gun shop or show at a decent price.

Lots of good things said about them.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:05 AM   #5
hfl73

The 5926 is not a common handgun. It was only in production for a few years in the early 90's, so there aren't as many of them around as compared to the 5906. I am not surprised you did not generate many responses from your post. At one time there was a recall for those handguns for some problems they were having. Check for two stamped dots just above the decocking lever, if they are there it means the gun has been sent back and the problem fixed. I took mine to the range yesterday for the first time in awhile. I forget what a nice shooting gun it is. I hope you enjoy yours.
Old December 5, 2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Rmart30

My first semi auto was a 5946 which is the DAO variant. Bough it new and its been a trooper. Never stops just keeps going and going.
I dont carry mine, it was my bedside gun for years and now its a range gun to practice with.
Old December 5, 2012, 12:25 PM   #7
mavracer

I have a 6926 which is the even more elusive compact alloy framed version of your 5926 and love it, also have a 1076. 3rd gen Smiths are as reliable as any auto can be and I love the Sig style decocker IMHO it's one of the best MOA for a SD or CCW weapon.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old December 6, 2012, 07:09 AM   #8
smee78

I'm hoping the recall has already been done on mine but if not off to S&W it will go. I may even have them refinish it while it is there? I hope it comes in today.

Last edited by smee78; December 7, 2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old December 7, 2012, 05:12 PM   #9
smee78

Happy Days,

I got my new gun today and it is in good condition, nothing a little cleaning wont take care of, I cant wait to get it to the range. Pics to follow
Old December 7, 2012, 07:19 PM   #10
mavracer

Sweet, waiting on pics.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:38 PM   #11
smee78

I finally got around to getting a few pics.....sorry it took so long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7288.JPG (167.2 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7291.JPG (162.9 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7292.JPG (166.0 KB, 219 views)
Old December 14, 2012, 09:21 PM   #12
mavracer

looks good you can tell he was right handed left side of grip looks new and all the wear is on the right side. My 1076 was the same way. they are great pistols enjoy.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:26 AM   #13
hfl73

Very nice! How does it shoot?
Old December 15, 2012, 12:17 PM   #14
carguychris

That IS a nice-looking pistol.

Just outta curiosity, is the slide marked with the model number or any other numerical markings? According to some past M5926 threads I've read on the S&W forum, the factory apparently marked some M5926 slides with model numbers and/or assembly numbers, but generally did not mark any other standard 3rd-gens this way. The reason for the special markings is unclear. (IIRC the late-production TSW models and some rare military-contract 3rd-gen pistols had serial-numbered slides, but S&W did not usually mark model numbers anywhere but the LH side of the frame.)

BTW the peculiar "CAUTION: MODEL NUMBER ON PARTS MUST AGREE" slide legend is a normal M5926 feature. The warning is presumably intended to prevent LE agencies that used both the frame-decocker and the standard decocker/safety pistols from mixing and matching slide parts, as the decocking systems are incompatible.

Last edited by carguychris; December 15, 2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: correction!
Old January 31, 2014, 04:48 PM   #15
smee78

No mine is not marked "CAUTION: MODEL NUMBER ON PARTS MUST AGREE", I know this is a old thread but its mine so........I also am thinking about picking up another one of these. I found one for about $365......help I'm weak
Old February 2, 2014, 04:03 PM   #16
DT Guy

I've never, ever seen one of those, and thought I was pretty well up on third generation S&W's.

Sort of a Sig and Wesson, isn't it?

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old February 3, 2014, 04:13 PM   #17
smee78

Yep, sure is. I like it, I dont see why it was not more popular.