The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 5, 2007, 08:11 AM   #1
rainynight65

Holster and Accessories for Beretta 92

While I am waiting for my license application to be processed (which may take a few months here where I live), I am looking at some holsters and other accessories to go with the old lady I purchased:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/beretta92.jpg

It's a Beretta 92 of the very first design, as seen from the position of the mag release, the frame mounted safety and the shape of the trigger guard. I had other choices, but nothing really rocked my boat, and the selection of new guns is very limited in this country due to some new legislation - importers don't want to keep stock anymore. So this is what I went with. Maybe in a year or two I'll complement it with another handgun, maybe a newer Beretta if I can afford it, or a second-hand CZ or Glock, if I can find one.

Anyhow, I have been looking at holsters from A to Z. Currently I am eyeballing the Fobus holsters. My primary purpose for the gun is to be used at the range, in regular sports and combat shooting. Which is why I have been thinking about a drop leg holster. The Roto holsters from Fobus can be combined with a thigh rig, which has the added effect that I can carry the gun on the belt or on the thigh, whichever I choose in the day. The Fobus also has the added bonus that it doesn't come with a flap or a strap, something which put me off a lot of other holster I have seen. I have tried a Fobus paddle holster in a shop, and it felt really comfortable. The only problem I have right now is that noone has been able to conclusively tell me if the Fobus holster for the Beretta 92 fits this old model, as the retention is clearly shaped to fit the hooked trigger guard of the 92FS. I spoke to a guy at Fobus, and he said it's a 50/50 chance it will fit.

Does anyone have an experience with this? Any other recommendations for holsters, drop-legs and/or combos? I am not in the market for a Blackhawk rig - too expensive

I have covered the magazine problem - a local company is making magazines for the Beretta, and they have been highly recommended to me. I guess I'll get one mag first and see how it performs with a few 100 rounds, and if it does well, I'll get additional ones as needed.

Sights - I have been thinking about replacing the sights at a later stage. However I am entirely not sure how to go about this - a gunsmith would have to do it anyway. The LPA SPR sight sets look interesting to me, higher profile for sports shooting. I don't know if or how they would be applied to a pistol. Can anyone give some insight on this?

Thanks for reading my rambling so far - there is only so much one can do without the actual gun. Maybe someone wants to cross fingers with me so it doesn't take too long until I get my license...
Old March 6, 2007, 01:14 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

I have an LPA rear sight on my Beretta 92G. It's the TPU series sight which will work with the stock front sight.

I've been pretty happy with it. Not only does it work as advertised, it also increases the sight radius by a bit.

Negatives:

It hangs over the back of the slide--if you thumb cock the hammer you'll notice it.

The dovetails on these pistols can be VERY tight. You may have difficulty installing any sights.

Sorry for the blurry pic, but it gives you an idea of what the LPA TPU series sights look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beretta 20.jpg (99.1 KB, 156 views)
Old March 6, 2007, 01:44 AM   #3
rainynight65

Hi John,

thanks for that insight. I read somewhere that the LPA sights protrude a bit to the rear. Shouldn't be too much of a problem though.

The thing about this setup is the the front sight on the old Beretta 92 is of a lower profile than the newer ones. Don't know how that would come into play. I guess I will have to go ask around at the gunsmith's shops here.