The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 3, 2015, 12:22 PM   #1
JERRYS.

why not an 8 or even 7 shot LCR .22mag?

I have two LCRs, a 5 shot 38 and an 8 shot .22lr. I'd like the .22mag but wonder why Ruger is unable to produce it in an 8 or even 7 shooter when other companies can....

anyone else have a craving for such a gun? I haven't looked at S&W because they're twice the cost of the Ruger.
Old July 4, 2015, 03:43 AM   #2
Snyper

I doubt there's enough demand to justify building them
Old July 4, 2015, 04:06 PM   #3
Cosmodragoon

Look closely at the different models of LCR. Notice that the cylinders on the small-frame version are specially relieved to just hug the chambers. This is just spitballin' on my part but could there by any issue with adapting the 8-round .22 LR cylinder design to the .22 WMR?
Old July 4, 2015, 10:48 PM   #4
oldcabin

I'm no revolverologist, but if Taurus can make a 8 shot 22mag little revolver then I'm sure Ruger can too.
With the exposed hammer...
And two cylinders..
Old July 4, 2015, 11:49 PM   #5
Super Sneaky Steve

I have a 351PD that is a 7 shot .22 Magnum. It's incredibly light. It's my summer pocket gun.

They aren't cheap, if you can find them, but the price is worth an extra shot.
Old July 5, 2015, 06:45 AM   #6
CajunBass

You can bet if Ruger thought there was enough demand to justify it, they'd make it.

That and they're having enough trouble making what they do make, fast enough, now.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old July 5, 2015, 08:16 AM   #7
bedbugbilly

I'm guessing it's probably due to a lack of demand also
One thing yo have to remember is that the "shortage" of 22 ammo did affect a lot of people in regards to buying/using 22s. I have probably 5 rifles/pistols and they have been "parked" for at least 3 to 4 years. I, like a lot of folks, just got fed up with standing in line for one box of ammo, etc. I can reload 38s cheaper than what a 22 round costs so why mess with the 22s?

I know there are still a lot of 22 shooters out there and maybe ammo is more available to them now, but it amazes me to stand in a LGS, watch folks buy 22 rifles and handguns, and then not be able to get a decent quantity of ammo to use in them.

I have a friend who picked up a 22 LCR - I've owned a 357 LCR - good handguns - no doubt about it. But, Ruger can only produce so many handguns and if their current models are selling well and they are working to capacity . . well . . new designs are just going to have to wait?

A few years back, I had a 9 shot H & R 929 "Sidekick". I liked the additional three rounds and can understand why a lot of folks like that. But again, I still think the demand is down as a lot of folks are tired of scraping the bottom of the area to find enough ammo to use in them. I'm surprised that with the shortage of 22 ammo, someone hasn't stepped in and started a new production plant . . . but . . supply and demand keeps the price up.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 6, 2015, 08:43 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

I also have a S&W, that I just bought on Gun Broker... used, with 2 cylinders of ammo through it... I paid $550.00 ( I don't think you could find a 22 Mag LCR for 1/2 that price )

the 351 PD just became my new favorite snubbie... I prefer a hammer on my rim fires ( really on all my snubbies ) so the LCR was out... I heard Ruger was going to start producing the LCR-X in rim fire... 1st in 22 LR, maybe later in 22 Mag... but finding that S&W Air Weight at $550.00 I bought it...

had it out the other day for some shooting with the Speer Gold Dot short barrel ammo, & it quickly became my new favorite snubbie...
Old July 8, 2015, 10:09 PM   #9
22-rimfire

6 shooter not good enough?

Personally, I'm waiting for the 3" 22 LR LCR with exposed hammer.

I suspect Ruger is perfectly capable of producing a 7 shot LCR in 22 Mag, but my guess is that either they don't see a significant demand for the gun or they are already limited by their production capabilities.

I have been waiting for an Alaskan in 480 Ruger. Haven't seen one.
Old July 9, 2015, 05:32 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

plenty of 480 Ruger Alaskans on Gun Broker ( got one on my "to buy" list also )
Old July 9, 2015, 07:05 AM   #11
Jim Watson

I agree, it seems strange.
The .38 is a 5 shot, the .22 LR is an 8 shot.
Why tool up for a 6 shot just for .22 WMR? Not like the cylinder steel isn't strong enough for 8.
Old July 10, 2015, 08:41 PM   #12
shootniron

Huh....I was wondering "Why a 22mag LCR?"...
Old July 11, 2015, 11:15 PM   #13
22-rimfire

Some people choose to carry a 22 mag revolver for protection.