The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2014, 07:54 PM   #1
ghbucky01

grrr... FTF with .45 acp in 1911

First, thanks for the ton of help I have gotten so far.

I have loaded up roughly 250 rounds so far, and I'm getting comfortable with the process.

The major headache I have right now is that I am getting a lot of FTF. The case neck is getting hung up on the chamber, leaving a gouge in the brass. The first round off the mag almost always (I did have one off the top mis-feed) seems to work fine, it is just during firing that the problem is showing up, so I'm not sure how to identify it without a lot of trips to the range.

After my first batch did this, I gave a half turn to the Lee Factory Crimp die (taper crimp), but I am still having issues.

Should I keep increasing the crimp? And is there a way to tell when I have it right short of burning up the highway between home and the range?

Last edited by ghbucky01; March 10, 2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old March 10, 2014, 08:27 PM   #2
chris in va

It would help to know the bullet type/weight/profile and OAL you are using along with the specific 1911 used.
Old March 10, 2014, 09:00 PM   #3
ghbucky01

Sure,

SNS LRN 230 gr
1.201 COAL
Kimber Tac Pro 2
Old March 10, 2014, 09:07 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

I hope you have some calipers or a micrometer. If you do just measure the diameter of the case about 3/16" below the mouth after it is loaded. Then measure the diameter at the mouth or very close to the end of the mouth. It should be the same or possibly a couple thousands less. You are only trying to remove the flair during the crimp and nothing more.

It is possible you are loading too long or too short. Can't tell which it might be without knowing the bullet used, the over all length, and the make and model of 1911 you are loading for.

You are probably loading too short. Try to make a few dummy rounds and see you they cycle with an OAL of around 1.240
Old March 10, 2014, 09:22 PM   #5
FtrPilot

Couple of things to look at

Does it happen with commercial ammo? Or only with your reloads.

Have you tried more than one magazine? Could be a bad mag or bad mag spring.

Have you tried putting one round in the mag and seeing if it feeds? Or are you filling up the mag?

Can you polish the feed ramp?

I agree with Misssissippi Dave...try to resolve this with dummy rounds.
Old March 10, 2014, 09:23 PM   #6
ghbucky01

Quote:
I hope you have some calipers or a micrometer. If you do just measure the diameter of the case about 3/16" below the mouth after it is loaded. Then measure the diameter at the mouth or very close to the end of the mouth. It should be the same or possibly a couple thousands less. You are only trying to remove the flair during the crimp and nothing more.
I measured several cases, and they are maybe 1/1000 wider at the mouth.

Quote:
It is possible you are loading too long or too short. Can't tell which it might be without knowing the bullet used, the over all length, and the make and model of 1911 you are loading for.
SNS LRN 230 gr
1.201 COAL
Kimber Tac Pro 2

Quote:
You are probably loading too short. Try to make a few dummy rounds and see you they cycle with an OAL of around 1.240
I got the 1.200 from my LEE book, so I thought that was gospel. However, I just mic'd some factory rounds (230gr FMJ) that load flawlessly and see that they actually measure out at 1.255

Thanks, I'll try increasing the OAL.
Old March 10, 2014, 09:30 PM   #7
ghbucky01

Quote:
Does it happen with commercial ammo? Or only with your reloads.

Have you tried more than one magazine? Could be a bad mag or bad mag spring.

Have you tried putting one round in the mag and seeing if it feeds? Or are you filling up the mag?

Can you polish the feed ramp?

I agree with Misssissippi Dave...try to resolve this with dummy rounds.
It has only occurred with my hand loads. It is has eaten every factory round I have fed it and can't recall the last time it malfunctioned with factory loads. HP and Russian ammo included.

I have 2 relatively new Kimpro tac mags, and it is happening with both. It seems to pick up the first round off the top of the mag pretty reliably (no matter how many rounds in the mag), but later rounds CAN FTF. This is my impression, I can't say that I have done extensive tests on this.

The ramp seems to have a pretty high polish already.
Old March 10, 2014, 09:44 PM   #8
Valerko

Simple solution. Put lighter recoil spring or make your reloads hotter.
I reload for Taurus PT1911 with relatively light recoil springs. Loads that work 100% in Taurus don't work as good in Springfield TRP with heavier slide and spring. Hotter loads , saved the problem. Lighter spring allowed me to use old loads.
Old March 10, 2014, 10:11 PM   #9
parttime

I wouldn't just increase the COL without removing the barrel and using it as a case gauge.
Unclenick has posted, numerous times, a diagrahm showing the proper seating depth of lead bullets in a 1911 frame.

I also would measure the taper crimp of the loaded round and make sure it is no more the .471.
Old March 10, 2014, 10:27 PM   #10
ghbucky01

Quote:
I also would measure the taper crimp of the loaded round and make sure it is no more the .471.
3 loaded rounds measure out at .472

More crimp?
Old March 10, 2014, 11:34 PM   #11
Axelwik

Get a max cartridge gauge and adjust your setup until they go in without any hang ups. Using a barrel may work sometimes, but some barrels can be fairly sloppy, and no barrel will be as tight as a max cartridge gauge.

They're cheap, and will avoid a lot of frustration at the range.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/171...ge-gage-45-acp
Old March 10, 2014, 11:44 PM   #12
Gadawg88

If your loaded rounds pass the plunk test then it is most likely your coal is wrong. 1.201 is short for a 230gn rn bullet. I load mine to 1.265. It is probably bouncing off the feed ramp and jamming on the top of the chamber.
The following link is a good read on the subject if you have the patience. If not, skip to the very bottom and check out Figure 9. The cartridge being illustrated is not 45acp, but the same concept applies.

http://38super.net/Pages/Overall%20Length.html

Last edited by Gadawg88; March 11, 2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old March 11, 2014, 12:04 AM   #13
caz223

Agreed, with LRN in .45 it's really easy to get a COL too short and end up with feeding problems.
Old March 11, 2014, 12:09 AM   #14
ghbucky01

Quote:
Get a max cartridge gauge and adjust your setup until they go in without any hang ups. Using a barrel may work sometimes, but some barrels can be fairly sloppy, and no barrel will be as tight as a max cartridge gauge.

They're cheap, and will avoid a lot of frustration at the range.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/171...ge-gage-45-acp
Ordered. Thanks for the tip.
Old March 11, 2014, 12:11 AM   #15
ghbucky01

Quote:
If your loaded rounds pass the plunk test then it is most likely your coal is wrong. 1.201 is short for a 230gn rn bullet. I load mine to 1.265. It is probably bouncing off the feed ramp and jamming on the top of the chamber.
The following link is a good read on the subject if you have the patience. If not, skip to the very bottom an check out Figure 9. The cartridge being illustrated is not 45acp, but the same concept applies.

http://38super.net/Pages/Overall%20Length.html
That, my misguided college football fan friend, sounds exactly like what is happening.

Thanks.
Old March 11, 2014, 12:47 AM   #16
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
It is probably bouncing off the feed ramp and jamming on the top of the chamber.
Also typical problem with 45acp in 1911. That or over crimping. You have probably heard it before that 1911 were made for the 230 ball ammo and other ammunition does not feed reliably. Well us reloaders call bull on that. Seems like my favorite 45 plinking bullet ( 200 Gr SWC) Feed just fine!

Just remember if you have to make it longer it might lighten your recoil, so take a few different loads with you to test. 5each in three incremental charge weights should do it.
Old March 11, 2014, 12:23 PM   #17
salvadore

I does sound like a load problem, but have you cleaned it lately?
Old March 11, 2014, 12:36 PM   #18
salvadore

I went down and measured some Lee RN 228s loads and that is a pretty short RN, I'm getting 1.247" oal.
Old March 11, 2014, 12:43 PM   #19
salvadore

Oops, went to check my Lee 230gr flat points and OAL is 1.196" THey feed in all three of my 1911s. Both taper crimps are .472
Old March 11, 2014, 12:49 PM   #20
salvadore

Also, should the OP be worried agout excess pressure when loading so deep and what the heck is SNS?
Old March 11, 2014, 01:33 PM   #21
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Also, should the OP be worried agout excess pressure when loading so deep and what the heck is SNS?
SNS Casting.

1.200" is the listed seating depth for 230 LRN.
Old March 11, 2014, 02:07 PM   #22
ghbucky01

Quote:
Oops, went to check my Lee 230gr flat points and OAL is 1.196" THey feed in all three of my 1911s. Both taper crimps are .472
Thanks for the taper measure. That is what mine is at as well, so that probably isn't it.

Quote:
I does sound like a load problem, but have you cleaned it lately?
It was cleaned before I started firing reloads, and has consistently not liked my reloads since.

My Kimber is very thoughtful about letting me know when it needs cleaned by failing to slide lock.

I can generally run about 500 factory rounds through it before that happens, but my reloads must be dirtier, because it started complaining after 300ish.
Old March 11, 2014, 02:08 PM   #23
RickB

I've shot RN bullets of different shapes and weights, and if they are truly are round, as opposed to some of the "round nose flat" bullets on the market, I'd try loading closer to 1.26", as has been suggested.
I've been crimping at .470" for 20+ years, and never an issue.
I am not a fan of the Lee FCD. Especially with plain lead bullets, you can run into issues with the bullet being sized down, but then not rebounding somewhat as will the brass case. You get a looser fit between the bullet and case, which can contribute to bullet set-back.
Old March 11, 2014, 02:21 PM   #24
ghbucky01

Quote:
I've shot RN bullets of different shapes and weights, and if they are truly are round, as opposed to some of the "round nose flat" bullets on the market, I'd try loading closer to 1.26", as has been suggested.
I've been crimping at .470" for 20+ years, and never an issue.
I am not a fan of the Lee FCD. Especially with plain lead bullets, you can run into issues with the bullet being sized down, but then not rebounding somewhat as will the brass case. You get a looser fit between the bullet and case, which can contribute to bullet set-back.
I've tested the setback by pushing a round into the bench and measuring the result and I'm not seeing any problems there. Thanks for reminding me about that, because I understand that can lead to bad things.

But, I did tighten the crimp last night a bit to get it down some and did not retest for the setback. Looks like i need to re-work some of my settings.
Old March 11, 2014, 07:22 PM   #25
Misssissippi Dave

The short OAL used often for published data is generally the minimum OAL you should use. Going longer, so long as your don't exceed the Max OAL for the caliber and the bullet isn't hitting the rifling, tends to lower the pressure and will keep you from going too hot. Loading short has caused plenty of problems in 1911 .45 from what I have seen. All those problems were with feeding. I won't load flat point or hollow point loads shorter than 1.200" and ball rounds I won't load shorter than 1.220". This works for me. YMMV.